Name:   avforums.com

Address: 172.64.80.1

The "real" address is supposed to be:

Thank you all.

Best Answer

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Many servers can use the SAME IP and it is from the URL name that a web server will know which server you are trying to use. I host a few small internal web sites also, and even through they all use the same IP, they are internally redirected to different sites, depending on how I configure my web server.

I can confirm that avforums.com are behind Couldflare (probably for DOS protection and/or load balancing), since if you try to use the IP directly in your browser, you get the following message:

Cloudflare can also automatically update IPs depending on how things are set up. Considering it is behind cloudflare, I would trust the 1.1.1.1 IP returned more than the others, since it is probably the first one they would update.

Answers

• Emporium
    edited January 2022

C:\Users\user1>nslookup avforums.com

Server: one.one.one.one

Address: 1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:  avforums.com

You sure they are not behind some load balancers with multiple hosts ?

Seems like 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4 are showing the above result...

If I use the adguard DNS servers (ex: 94.140.14.14) I get what you expect.

> avforums.com

Server: dns.adguard.com

Address: 94.140.14.14

Addresses: 104.25.233.4

• Guy M. #30132
    Guy M. #30132 Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thank you very much.

You are right in saying they are probably behaind load balancers.

• Emporium

But OpenDNS is like google and one dot one...

> avforums.com

Server: dns.opendns.com

Address: 208.67.222.222

So something has not propogated properly.. OR still propogating...

• Guy M. #30132

Not propagated? That would mean a problem with fizz/vl right?

• Emporium

Nope... Nothing to do with Fizz..

As you saw above, even using DNS servers from Google, Cloudflare, OpenDNS, Adguard, etc... We get all sorts of different results. So this is NOT a Fizz problem.

avforums has probably made changes with their domain registrar, and those changes have NOT yet propagated to the various DNS servers around the world.

f you want, you can manually override your DNS servers on your devices to point to the one from adguard DNS if you want, 94.140.14.14, and this will help resolve to the IP that you expect.

But is it causing you an issue ? I am using the cloudflare DNS which resolve to the 172.xxxx address, and wen I bring up avforums on google chrome, it works fine.. Their servers probably do have multiple IPs.

• Guy M. #30132

Thank for your time.

The thing is with your explanation, it is not the only site thet gets the same address...

Try dnstools.ws

So something else is going on that is not related to avforums

• Guy M. #30132

Although at face value your explanation does not contain false informations, it does not explain what is happening.

There are other tests that show some kind of redirection of some websites when called from some DNS and a different one from another. Also, take a look at https://dnstools.ws/lookup/avforums.com/A/ to see that only in Canada the result is different.

Thank you for your time however.

• Emporium
    edited January 2022

Obviously cloudflare is using some sort of geolocation algorithm to decide which server to send you to. However regardless of what the IP resolves to, you do get to the avforum.com site as expected. There must be a reason behind it.

It is very similar to what netflix, hulu and other do (https://dnstools.ws/lookup/netflix.com/A/ https://dnstools.ws/lookup/hulu.com/A/) and you can see that many countries redirect to quite a few different servers. This is NOT uncommon for larger web sites which want to serve slightly different content or slightly different restrictions to different countries. Many gaming servers do the same, and in their case, they do it to "try" to get you to connect the a server that is closer to you geographically to minimize latency and jitter.

But whatever it is, it has nothing to do with Fizz :)

This discussion has been closed.