Questions if I join Fizz (internet/mobile)

markport
markport Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Internet

In Fizz's video to install the modem, it says plug in the coax cable into the back of the modem but where does the other end of that coax plug into?

The site indicates their technician will deliver contactless up to my apartment door and then wait in his truck for me to set it up - is this true? I do not want anyone inside my apartment; I'm able to set it up myself.

For a cell phone, can I order one, have it sent to me with a 3 hour delivery for an extra charge? I read on the site that signature is required but in my experience, all delivery co's will ignore the signature requirement. Is it Planete Courrier that delivers this and will it come with tracking?

The sim card - I think this is Planete Courrier that delivers - again, if I order this, can I get it in a brief period of time for a higher delivery fee or do I just have to wait every day until it delivers? Does tracking come with this?

If I order both the phone and the sim card at the same time, will it show up as 1 delivery package (it would include both the sim card and phone) or 2 different deliveries possibly on different days?

Thank you for your help.

Best Answer

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

The other side of the coaxial cable goes into the wall outlet. The technician will come and check that everything is set up correctly and then activate the connection. The rest (i.e, plug the modem in and set it up) will be up to you. It’s a very simple process though!

There is no faster delivery for the SIM card but I got mine the next day. Depends on where you live. In Québec you can also buy simcard at participating Couche Tard locations.

Don’t forget to use a referral code when you sign up (right now your get 50$). Many people that sign up for both - internet and mobile - create a second account and refer themselves. You could do that too (e.g create an account for mobile and then create a second one for internet and refer yourself)

Hope this helps. Bienvenue à fizz :-)

Answers

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Edit: Thanks to @Dapfizzer for pointing it out. :-) The current promotion is 25,- NOT $ 50,- anymore !

• markport
    markport Posts: 2 ✭✭

I had Videotron tv/net long ago, left around 10 years ago. There is no proper coax outlet in my apartment - when the tech first came here long ago, he drilled through the outer wall (concrete) while standing on the fire escape, fed a base cable into my apartment, then inside my apartment he clipped the final metal part to the coax cable so I could use that in their modem for tv/net. It's a ridiculously long cable and I kept asking him to make it shorter and he ignored me.

It's still there. I have it coiled up and as far as I know, it's still plugged into the box outside my window (he drilled just under/to the side of the window to feed the cable into my apt) - BUT - I don't know if everything works.

The cable is probably 20 feet or more long. It's not damaged as far as I know, but if I get Fizz's modem it's anyone's guess if I plug it into that cable if it will work or not.

I had some hope that there'd be no need to have a technician come into my apartment- I've isolated extensively since covid began and am very reluctant to have anyone in here. I'm with another net provider but my speeds are slow and even if I go for their next level highest package, it would not get me more than and I'd need their tech to come in here to use his meter to calibrate everything.

It would mean that a Fizz tech, if I understand correctly, would come here, give me a proper coax outlet, verify it works, and I could do everything else. Is this correct? Do you know the time frame it would take him to do this ?

I know I"m being paranoid but I'm tired of slow speeds and had hopes Fizz would be the simplest option to get me better speed.

If I get them I'd switch out of my phone provider and go with them as well.

Thanks for any response and for your original response.

This discussion has been closed.