Computers are invisible on the network

Options
Hokam
Hokam Posts: 20 ✭✭

Hello,

I can't see my other computer on the network, and I can't access it or see it when hosting a game on LAN. Any idea of the issue?

Answers

• Mimimi
    Mimimi Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Options

Could be a number of reasons. If you are using Windows, then search for your computers using the complete name, such as " \\my-laptop\ " (where you would replace "my-laptop" with the machine name).

Note that Windows prefers if all computers are on the same domain name so my might want to check those settings too.

A sure way to communicate between computers on a LAN (local area network) is to use the IP address that your router assigned it. Typically it look something like "192.168.0.21" (and the last complete number is different on each one of your connected devices).

You can view the IP addresses assigned by your router by logging on to it.

This is a very brief response to a question having so many variables. Hope this bit helps. Otherwise, let us know if we can help more.

• Hokam
    Options

Yes, that's right, there are many variables.

I discovered that one of the windows updates has removed the homegroups from the explorer.

What's the new method to create a network? Even the official microsoft documentation is obscure and doesn't make sense.

I thought it would be related to the router, since both computers can access internet, but they can't see each other.

I'll try your suggestions.

• Mimimi
    Mimimi Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Options

Microsoft domains can be a pain.... At home, I simply assign every Windows machine to the group "WORKGROUP" and use IP addresses for everything else when possible.

N.B. I make sure that my router has reserved addresses for devices I need to reference, otherwise the IPs may change!

• Hokam
    Options

I'm starting to think windows firewall is blocking connections.

• Hokam
    Options
    • Computers are assigned to the same workgroup
    • One computer is using an ethernet connection, the other is wifi. I don't know if them using different networks is important or not.
    • They're just invisible to each other. They aren't visible from the explorer, even sharing files doesn't work.
    • Network discovery is enabled.