From Canada, going to Mexico for a month

Options
SarahPenda
SarahPenda Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

M current plan is set here in Québec, CA, but I'm going to Mexico for a month and I will need to be able to receive calls. I understand how to add data but I wanted to make sure, my phone number would still work and calls will get through, as this is my work phone number.

Thanks!!

Answers

• Fling
    Fling Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi Sarah,

You need to buy a SIM card in Mexico at the airport.

• SarahPenda
    SarahPenda Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi!

Yes I understand that, but then people would need to call me on that Mexican number? Is that it? As I said it's my work phone number so I need to be able to receive calls from Canada to my fizz number

• Fling
    Options

Yes, after you have activated the SIM card you need to give your new phone number to the people you want to contact you.

• Fling
    Options

At the airport where you are gone a land there will be a few place who sale sim and they could help you to choose the good one for your phone and your needs.

You can buy one on amazon

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Options

@SarahPenda

Hi Sarah,

call forwarding allows you to forward your calls to another phone number of your choice. It’s useful when you’re on the move, or when you wish to be reached at a number other than your Fizz mobile phone number.

To use the Call forwarding function, make sure your plan includes minutes or that you have funds in your Wallet to pay-per-use.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-set-up-call-forwarding

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options

@SarahPenda

If it is that important, for calls, if you can purchase and activate a mexican number before you get to mexico (or i you have a friend or family member that can do it before you get there), then you could always purchase a long distance calling addon from fizz for calls TO mexico. And then you can configure your phone for Call forwarding to the new Mexican number you will have while in mexico. For mexico, it costs $6 for 60 minutes of calls. Keep in mind that you will get charged on your Fizz number for all incoming calls, since you will be forwarding to a long distance number.

Keep in mind that call forwarding can only be activated if you have Fizz cell phone service, since it is done through your phone (not online).

Other option is to use your voicemail. Change message and mention that people can call you on the mexican number, or to leave a message and you can call them back. You can always access your voicemail from anywhere, by calling 1-514-647-0999.

If text messages are more of a concern, then rest assured that Fizz does offer SMS and Data in Mexico, but SMS are only on a per use charge basis:

Anyhow, just a few options.

This is unfortunately one of the drawbacks of a prepaid service. You do save money for the majority of the people and situations, but when you travel, there are many restrictions.

• Vanni
    Vanni Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Options

If you need to make sure that everyone who has your Fizz number is able to reach you in Mexico, then you may want to think about a more creative solution.

For example Fonus offers a plan that includes data and roaming in US and Mexico for 30 US dollars a month. There have been mixed reports on reliability and calls can only be made or received through their app, but for one month that may be a good solution. If you register with a Canadian number, and your Fizz plan has unlimited calls to Canada, then you just need to set up call forwarding to your Fonus number and you will be able to receive calls while in Mexico for a flat rate, as well as use the data.

This way there would be no need of providing people with your Mexican number and, most importantly, people who want to call you would not have to pay international rates. And there would be no worries of running out of minutes or Gigabytes if using the Fizz call forwarding to a Mexican number.

At the end of the day, it really depends on how much you are planning to use your phone while in Mexico. If you are planning on receiving a few calls from just a few people, then voicemail and a local SIM card may do the trick. But if you are planning on using your phone extensively while down there, maybe you will need a different solution.

• MarcVivian
    MarcVivian Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you!