What is my PIN needed to keep my number but change carriers?

Lucille O.
Lucille O. Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am no longer in Canada and I would like to keep my current number to use with a new carrier. Where can I find this PIN or passcode?

Best Answer

  • Fling
    Fling Posts: 9,068 ✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓

    Hi Lucille,

    It's your account Number and you can see it in your invoice. The number you need is the customer number in your invoice

    To see a list of all your Fizz transactions:

    1. Go to My Plans in your Fizz account.
    2. If you have more than one plan, choose the plan you wish to see transactions for.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the usage summary and click on Transaction history.


    Cancelling and KEEPING your number

    To keep your phone number at a new provider, first and foremost, DO NOT cancel your current Fizz service — only active phone numbers can be transferred to a new provider.

    The process is simple: tell your new provider that you intend to keep your number. Your new provider will contact Fizz to disable your Fizz plan. The cancellation will only come into effect after your new provider has retrieved your phone number.

    Your new provider will ask you to identify your Fizz plan to confirm your number transfer. Before you call your new provider, have the following information handy:

    • Your Fizz account number: To find your account number, go to My Planthen go in Manage. Beneath your telephone number you’ll see your 8 digits account ID starting by 2 or 3...
    • OR The IMEI number for the last phone you used with your Fizz plan: This is your phone’s identity card; it also allows us to identify your plan. Your IMEI number can be found by dialing *#06# in your phone’s keypad.


    If you are transferring your number over to another mobile provider: 

    - Once you completed your subscription with this new provider and requested the transfer of your Fizz number, you’ll receive via text messaging a transfer authorization request. This text MUST be answered within the prescribed time frame (90 minutes) to confirm your wish to transfer this number. 

    - If this text message remains unanswered, or if you answer after the prescribed time, your request to transfer your number will be cancelled. You will need to contact the other provider directly to initiate a new request. 

    - If you don’t receive the transfer authorization request by text messaging, contact the other provider directly to initiate a new request. If you still don’t receive anything with that second attempt, then contact our Customer Service team: log into your Fizz account, and click on the chat bubble located in the bottom right corner of the page during our business hours. 



  • yoddie
    yoddie Posts: 79 ✭✭

    If you want to keep your phone number, your new carrier will have to take care of it. Just contact your new carrier and tell them you want to port your number. Give them the new number and it will be ported.

    However, if you are outside of Canada, your new carrier probably won't provide service for the same area code you have right now. So your best solution is to keep a local carrier with your Canadian area code and get a roaming plan so you can use it outside of Canada.

This discussion has been closed.