Data leak?

Pixel
Pixel Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hello everyone

For the past 3 months, I've been on the verge of having not enough data to end the month. That's strange, because I've used my phone less than I did the whole year and I've had more data than I've ever had.

I've looked into my phone settings for the period of billing (which is the same) and it's never above 10gb per month. However, on My Account, we are talking between 15 and 25gb consumption per month. It is absolutly crazy. I've contacted help several time and all they can say is "Nope, everything's normal on our side".

I've seen a couple of other people on various boards (Reddit and Facebook, for starters) that have the same problem. Do you know if there's a fix for this?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• brouleau21
    brouleau21 Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

First and foremost, did you since this problem appeared, restarted you phone. This usually solves 99% of the data leak problems as they often relates to an app gone rogue, restarting usually shuts down these apps or at least stop their problematic loop.

Second, did you checked your phones data, per app? (if you are with Androïd, go to System --> Connection --> Data usage --> Mobile data usage, this should show you every a graph (at the top) and all the applications usage individually.)

Also, make sure that your wifi is turned on, a similar situation happened to me where I inadvertently turned off my wifi, so everything I did at home, was going through cell data rather than wifi

Third, if Fizz, tells you that all seems good on their end and all looks OK on yours, you may have someone connected to you data plan. This may be possible if you are sharing your connection without realizing it.

Turn on your hotspot

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen.
    • Tap Hotspot (and make sure it is unselected so that no one can piggy back on your cell connexion.)
      •  into your Quick Setting and drag Hotspot, at the bottom left, tap Edit If you don’t find Hotspot.

Lastly, if noting works and you really think there is a problem, contact Fizz to get a new SIM card, someone could have made a clone and be using it. But this is very unlikely, this is a last resort.

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hello! Yes, I restart my phone at least once a week! I also often sweep my phone for unwanted apps and uninstall them. Yes I have seen the usage per app, nothing unusual here. My total consumption stays way under Fizz estimate, I'm talking a good 10gb difference. My wifi is always on, be it at work or at home. I only use my phone while in transits.

As for the hotspot, it is impossible. Data Saver is activated in my phone and, when it is, Hotspot cannot be activated. Someone making a copy of my SIM seems very unlikely, but that's the only thing that I haven't looked into.

• brouleau21
    brouleau21 Posts: 178 ✭✭

Then contact Fizz and ask for a new SIM. that is the only solution to this type of problem I can think of. the other one would be to install a "Data calculator" app, but this requires authorization that I would definitely not give any app, unless forced to.

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.