A 100 Mbps account gives 30 Mbps
so it is on your own device. Can you please use the Fizz wi-fi app and test your speed with it ? You will see the speed arriving at your modem not your device ? Maybe the wi-fi is the issue ?
Download the Fizz Wi-Fi app
This handy app lets you schedule pauses, manage access and more.
Download it for free:
- Google Play: Click here
- App Store: Click here
To log in, use the following credentials:
- Username: cusadmin
- Password: (enter the new password you chose)
There you go! Your network is now ready.
The speed of a wireless connection can be affected by several factors.
It is normal for the speed of a wireless connection to vary depending on, among other things, distance to the Wi-Fi modem, technology used by the devices, and Wi-Fi interference.
Make note of the various sources of attenuation of your Wi-Fi signal
- The waves in your Wi-Fi network may be attenuated by various obstacles and sources of interference, causing speed drops and partial or complete disconnections of your internet connection.
- Sources of interference include:
- Nearby Wi-Fi networks
- Surveillance cameras
- Baby monitors
- Microwave ovens
- Obstacles to Wi-Fi waves include:
- Construction materials (concrete, aluminum, etc.)
- Heated flooring
- If you are unable to change your environment to limit sources of Wi-Fi signal attenuation, it would be better to use a network cable (RJ45).
- A cable is included in the original box of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem.
If you have only one device, make sure you test it with other websites, browsers and apps
- If the low speed is limited to one browser, one website or only one application, uninstall the browser or application from your device.
- If the situation remains unchanged after you reinstall the browser or application, consult support for this particular product.
Conduct a speed test
- Use the Fizz Wi-Fi app to conduct a speed test. This app is available free of charge on the Apple Store and Google Play.
- If possible, do multiple tests using various devices in different locations in your space.
- Compare the results obtained for download and upload speeds of your Fizz Home Internet plan.
- If possible, also conduct a speed test using a device connected directly to the Wi-Fi modem by a network cable (RJ45).
- You can also conduct a speed test using a speed test website or application of your choice.
- Make sure you choose a speed test that uses a local server. Some websites have test servers that are located overseas. This could skew your results.
Make sure your equipment is capable of reaching the desired speed
- Each subscribed device has a Wi-Fi standard. This standard represents the maximum speed that the device can reach.
- Here is a list of Wi-Fi standards and their approximate speed:
- StandardFrequencyMaximum speedReachCongestionBandwithMiMo SupportedYear of appearence802.11a5 GHz25 MbpsWeakLow20 MHzNo1999802.11b2.4 GHz5 to 6 MbpsAcceptableHigh20 MHzNo1999802.11g2.4 GHz20 to 25 MbpsAcceptableHigh20 MHzNo2003802.11n2.4 GHz30 to 110 MbpsGoodHigh20 or 40 MHzYes2009802.11n5 GHz50 to 180 MbpsGoodLow20 or 40 MHzYes2009802.11ac5 GHz90 à 400 MbpsGoodLow20, 40 or 80 MHzYes2014
- Standards A, B and G are now obsolete based on average use.
- A Wi-Fi network can be compared to a highway. Devices that use obsolete standards are like a vehicle that slows down an entire lane.
- Different devices supporting the same Wi-Fi standard may not all have the same maximum speed.
- Only the latest, state-of-the-art devices will be able to reach maximum speeds.
- Consult the manufacturer’s datasheet to see which standard your device is using.
- If the band steering function on your Wi-Fi modem is turned off, in most cases it’s preferable to manually select the 5GHz Wi-Fi frequency band.
Restart your Wi-Fi modem
- Unplug the power cable on your Wi-Fi modem.
- Make sure all the lights on the modem are off once you have unplugged it.
- Wait ten (10) seconds.
- Plug your modem back into the electrical outlet. Expect a three (3) minute delay to allow your devices to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
- It is more effective to restart your Wi-Fi modem by unplugging its power cable instead of pressing its power button.
If allowed by your device, connect to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequency
- Your Fizz Wi-Fi modem uses by default the frequency band steering technology. When this function is disabled, the Wi-Fi modem will display two (2) frequency bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Manually select the 5 GHz from your devices.
The modification of this option is possible thanks to the mobile application Fizz Wi-Fi:
- Choose: ''My Wi-Fi''
- Select your Wi-Fi network
- Select: ''Advanced Settings''
- Band Steering ''On/Off''
- The Fizz Wi-Fi app is available for free at various online stores (Apple Store and Google Play Store).
This change can also be applied through the Wi-Fi modem user interface:
- 1. Log in at: 192.168.0.1 from the web browser of any device.
- 2. Log in using the following information:
- Username: cusadmin
- Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup)
- 3. Go to the next section to apply changes:
- Wireless → General Settings → 5GHz → Band Steering (Disable)
- If you do not remember the password you entered during setup, press and hold the "Reset" button behind the modem to reset your Wi-Fi modem back to its factory settings.
Consider adjusting your Fizz Home Internet plan to better meet your needs
- Reduced speeds are possible if your plan is not sufficient for your needs, or if several people are using your Wi-Fi network simultaneously.
- Some devices connected to your Wi-Fi network could also be using your network in the background, for example:
- Operating system updates
- Photo albums that are syncing
- Cloud hosting
- Here are some examples of average usage:
- Type of serviceBandwithData ConsumptionYouTubeUHD 4K: 6 to 10 Mbps
- 1080p: 4.5 Mbps
- 720p: 2.5 Mbps
- 480p: 2 Mbps
- UHD 4K: 2.7 to 4.5 GB/hour
- 1080p: 2 GB/hour
- 720p: 1.1 GB/hour
- 480p: 450 MB/hour
- Music streamingAudio quality: 320 Kbps
- Audio quality: 96 Kbps
- Audio quality 320 Kbps: 50 MB/hour
- Audio quality 96 Kbps: 44 MB/hour
- Video streaming
- (Other than YouTube)High video quality: 5 Mbps
- Medium video quality: 2.5 Mbps
- Low video quality: 256 Kbps
- High video quality: 2 GB/hour
- Medium video quality: 1 GB/hour
- Low video quality: 115 MB/hour
- Video conference
- (Skype, Facetime and others)
- 7 people: 8 Mbps
- 5 people: 4 Mbps
- 3 people: 2 Mbps
- 7 people: 8 Mbps: 3.6 GB/hour
- 5 people: 4 Mbps: 1.8 GB/hour
- 3 people: 2 Mbps: 900 MB/hour
- The information provided here above is when the wireless connection is optimal, without interference or congestion.
Restore your Wi-Fi modem to its factory settings
- IMPORTANT: This will reset any changes that have been made to your Wi-Fi modem settings to date. You may also need to reconfigure your devices’ Wi-Fi settings (network name, password, etc.).
- Using a small, sharp object, press the modem’s reset button for 10 seconds.
- Once your modem has restarted, follow the same instructions you used when you initially installed it.
- Reminder: The default username (Default Wi-Fi network) and password (Default key) for your Wi-Fi network are written on a sticker on the back of your Wi-Fi modem.
Is it the speed arriving at the modem or arriving at your computer ? Is is due to the wi-fi ? Can you check the test when you are plugged with a cable into the modem ?0
Thank You for sharing.0
If you tested your wi-fi speed with the fizz wi-fi mobile app and do not get a 120 mbps from network to Modem then you should contact Fizz with the chat : https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us
But maybe the issue is more the wi-fi..
We’re here for you 24/7.
Make your way to the Solution Hub and find the help page pertaining to your issue. If you can’t find the answer, click on the (?) in the right-hand corner. That’s your door to the channels to contact us.
Leave us a message.
We’ll get back to you so you don’t have to wait around. Just leave us a message on Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, iMessage or Twitter private.0