Does Fizz fully support the Google Pixel 5A?

thibs27
thibs27 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into buying the new Google Pixel 5A phone. I do know that it is available in the US and I plan on using it between Canada and US.

Looking online, what I see trends towards a support on the Rogers network, but I would like someone with a bit more technical knowledge to get a full answer.

Here are two links where I saw some information:

Do I read correctly that it would not support the 5G in Canada?

And https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/google-pixel-5a

which indicates a 4G support on the Fizz network, but a 5G support on Rogers'.

Thank you,

Benoit Thiboutot

Best Answer

• aerograb
    aerograb Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Same here.

I own the Pixel 5, which is compatible with 5G, but Fizz doesn't offer it as of today.

Answers

• Scorchy
    Scorchy Posts: 2 ✭✭

It should work but 5g isn’t available yet with Fizz

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Is my phone compatible with the Fizz mobile network?
    1. Your phone needs to meet a few critera if you want to use it on the Fizz mobile network.

Android:

1. The majority of Android phones sold in North America in the last five (5) years are compatible with Fizz. Simply make sure your phone has the necessary hardware components to support the Fizz network frequencies.

iPhone:

1. There are three elements to check to find out if your iPhone is compatible with the Fizz network:
    2. 1. The model:
    • Only the iPhone 5s, or more recent, are compatible with the Fizz mobile network.
    2. 2. The operating system:
    • Make sure your phone has the latest iOS software. To do so:
      • Connect to a Wi-Fi network
      • Download the latest iOS software update
    2. 3. The carrier settings:
    • Once the software update is done, your iPhone will offer a carrier settings update to Fizz 34.1 or higher. Make sure to accept it. More information is available on the Apple website.
    Which frequencies must my phone support?
    1. For an LTE-compatible phone configured with LTE network preferences:
    • Calls: Your device must support HSPA 850 MHz
    • Mobile data: Your device must have dual-frequency support for 1700/2100 MHz (also called AWS or band IV)
    2. Your phone can also support other frequencies that allow it to take advantage of the LTE network.
    3. For a phone that only allows 3G or HSPA preferred:
    • Calls and / or mobile data: The phone must support the 1700/2100 MHz frequency (also called AWS)

We may terminate access to certain services if we detect an incompatibility between your phone and the Fizz mobile network. If so, we would inform you.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 153 ✭✭

It's almost a certainty that it will work, given this information from Kimovil.

• Chris X.
    Chris X. Posts: 48 ✭✭

Following- also wondering

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

Since the Fizz network does not support 5G, you may have to disable the 5G functionality to ensure it does not cause issues by selecting towers it can't use anyhow.

However, other than that, there should be no issues.

• BUDDYMAN
    BUDDYMAN Posts: 51 ✭✭

The phone will work on 4G, 5G is not available quite yet

This discussion has been closed.