Why do I NEVER get LTE, only "H+" in Ottawa/Nepean

Options

Q: why do I never get LTE data service in Ottawa/Nepean/Kanata ON?

I only get H+ with data enabled on my phone.

Comments

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

For an LTE-compatible phone configured with LTE network preferences:

• Calls: Your device must support HSPA 850 MHz
    • Mobile data: Your device must have dual-frequency support for 1700/2100 MHz (also called AWS or band IV)

Your phone can also support other frequencies that allow it to take advantage of the LTE network.

For a phone that only allows 3G or HSPA preferred:

• Calls and / or mobile data: The phone must support the 1700/2100 MHz frequency (also called AWS)

Reboot your device or remove and reinsert the SIM card.

s your APN is correctly set up? (Android)
    2. Steps to follow for configuring the APN can vary from one phone to another. Here's an example:
    3. Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Access Point Names → APN
    5. Fizz APN settings are:
    • APN: mobile.bm
    • MMSC: http://mms.mobile.bm
    • MMS proxy: mmsproxy.mobile.bm
    • MMS port: 80
    • APN type: default,mms,supl   
    2. If your phone offers you a predetermined APN type, choose “Internet + MMS”
    3. Other fields should be filled by default; if empty, they are not mandatory.
    4. Some phone models use the term “Proxy server” instead of “MMS proxy”. 
    Does the phone choose the right network?
    1. IMPORTANT: Before beginning this process, make sure the SIM card is inserted in your phone. Otherwise, the Mobile networks menu will not be visible.
    2. The steps for enabling your phone to automatically choose a network vary depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:
    3. AndroidSettings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Automatic/Fizz
    4. iPhoneSettings → Operators → Automatic/Fizz
    5. The frequency band used may vary from one service provider to another. It’s possible that your phone is not able to connect to all available mobile networks.

• Clive_ref_code_73TF9
    Options

Fizz does not have great LTE coverage beyond the urban core on the Ottawa side, the further away from the QC border you travel, the less likely you will have LTE coverage on the Fizz network and beyond their partner networks. And as the other person posted, having a phone compatible with all the Fizz frequencies is best. H+ should still be fast enough for streaming but don't expect to watch videos in 4K. You are not alone in less than optimal coverage in Ottawa.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz might not have great LTE coverage in the area, but another thing to consider would be device compatibility. Is this possible in your case?

This discussion has been closed.