Convince me to switch for internet

Options
Sickboy
Sickboy Posts: 105 ✭✭

Pros and cons of fizz internet.

Pricing seems good but how is the support if the internet goes out how do you get help because you internet is out right?

Best Answer

• J D. #792
    J D. #792 Posts: 316 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I switched to Fizz internet from the beta trial program. And the service from day one to now is quite stable. Only a few downtime during night for maintenance I guess. And during the Covid where the internet becomes more important because most of us are working from home now, I remember it only happens one downtime about 2hrs during the day and it's a big one from Videotron where many area were affected.

If the price is good for you, probably you could try it out without cancelling your existing one and once you are satisfied you can cancel your existing IPS.

Another good thing with Fizz internet is the initial setup fee. The modem from Fizz is free and the setup fee is also free if you choose to install by yourself which is quite easy to do. Other companies will probably need you to buy the modem or have a deposit and also pay for setup fee.

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,783 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Sickboy

It's as reliable as Videotron. Fizz internet works on the same Videotron cable network.

The negative comments I have seen about Fizz internet are related to the Wi-Fi capability of the Fizz modem. If you have any issues with the Wi-Fi, you can get around this by putting the modem in bridge mode and using a router of your own.

As you may already know, customer service is 100% online.

The pricing should be the clincher to go for it. With Fizz, there are no contracts or commitments.

Try it, if you don't like it, you are free to cancel.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sickboy

You have a legitimate concern in terms of contact support when/if it goes out. It is cheap, but all support is done on these forums, via the live chat or messenger. And you ask, how do you USE these methods if your internet is out :) I had similar concerns, but then I thought to myself, "when was the LAST time I ever needed to contact my ISP for support ?" And I could not even remember.

Figured, if I EVER get to that point, I guess I could use cell data for that (not like messenger uses much data anyhow). Or worst case, I'd go to Tim's, grab a coffee and use their internet to message and open a ticket :) Or I'd just hope into the office. But Videotron internet for me, just works. Rarely have had any issues.

For a small appt, the integrated WiFi of the supplied modem may be sufficient. In my case, I decided to put modem in Bridge mode and use my own Router and WiFi access points (which I already had).

I requested install 10 days before my contract with ISP was expiring, that way I had time to test and ensure all was good. So I had a 10 day overlap. Also, gave me some time, in case the technician didn't show up, I could reschedule a new appt before I lost my previous service. I think the biggest issue is crossing your fingers that the tech shows up :(

Price for me was one of the biggest reasons to switch. My ISP was raising my price by close to 35%... I even gave them the oppurtunity to match fizz (or come close) and it was still way off. So I could not justify the price jump. It also helped that Fizz had a price promo going on at the time for the 120Mbps plan for $50/m.

• Mario_FQDZA
    Mario_FQDZA Posts: 3,179 ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

You want an honest comment? If you need convincing, DON'T GO WITH FIZZ!

The other comments all make valid points. But you don't want a reliable Home Internet at a great price, you want customer support for that one possible day, 6-7 years from now when your modem will be dead or a squirrel will have chewed your cable. Go with Vidéotron and pay full price for that one day, 6-7 years from now of "customer support".

I'm telling you what a real friend would say. Sometimes, the truth hurts. :)

This discussion has been closed.