What is the ETA for IPv6 deploy?

123 Posts: 9 ✭✭

With IPv6 being used more and more all over the Internet and more and more IPv6 only resources being available, when Fizz is going to provide native IPv6 to its customers?

Answers

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

Pretty sure it will be a while. Even videotron, only provides IPv6 functionality to their Helix customers only.

It's not a limitation of the fizz modem, since it has all IPv6 firewall rules and other options. May need a few firmware updates once they decide to deploy it, but surely not anything major.

However, even if they ever offer it, the question also is, will it be strictly for users using thier modem as a router, or will users using it in bridge mode also be able to get an IPv6 on WAN.

For the moment, I don't have a need for it, but all my equipment is ready for it except for my old HP laserjet 4100 whcih has an JetDirect 610n which does not support IPv6. But I guess when the time comes, I could always replace the JEtdirect 610n with a 635n which does support IPv6.

• CJ Ref Code B43SA
    CJ Ref Code B43SA Posts: 288 ✭✭

There's no way other customers like us can answer this question for you. Adoption is on its way, but it's nowhere near universal and will take years for the world to get there. There are a boatload of devices that do not support it still.

• EtienneB
    EtienneB Posts: 217 ✭✭

There is no specific date for when Fizz will provide native IPv6 to its customers. It is likely to depend on demand and the evolution of the technology. However, it is important to note that many ISPs have not yet implemented native IPv6 for their customers, so it is not surprising that Fizz has not yet done so.

It is important to note that IPv6 is becoming more common and is seen as the next step for the Internet as it solves the IP address scarcity problems that exist with IPv4. It is therefore likely that Fizz and other ISPs will continue to explore options to implement native IPv6 for their customers in the future.

It is also important to note that for now, it is possible that you can use IPv6 using an IPv6 Tunnel, which allows a host to connect to an IPv6 network using an IPv4 connection, using a Tunnelbroker. So it is possible to continue using IPv6 even if Fizz does not provide it natively.

EtienneB, have you tried to actually using IPv6 tunnels yourself? Low speeds, high latency, high overhead — that's what using IPv6 tunnel is like, even with a paid options. Free tunnels, like Tunnelbroker, will slow down your 400Mbit/s subscription to ~20Mbit/s.

IPv6 is 27 years old, but Videotron Fizz is still waiting for some mythical «demand» and «evolution of the technology» to happen. There are numbers of ISPs who implemented native IPv6 around the world. So, it is actually quite surprising that Fizz still doesn't have it, given its attempts to convey this «ISP of the future» appearance.

• Alan_Smithee
    Alan_Smithee Posts: 8 ✭✭

@123 Curious about how you have it setup to loose that much speed.

I've been using the free Hurricane/TunnelBroker setup via an OPNSense router and I get really reasonable speeds. Losing about 7 Mbps. Test was done using the Comcast Xfinity test

IPv4: 226/29.5Mbps | IPv6: 219/28Mbps

But, I do hear you: this is really due to be addressed. Other providers have done it successfully and I really feel the Big "V"head office are the ones restricting development on this. Way easier to force power users purchasing their pricier stuff.

@Alan_Smithee Pretty much same setup — HE with termination in Toronto. Barely over 20Mbit/s measured by iperf3, hooked up directly to the Helix modem.

I can't come up with any reason why Videotron Fizz still doesn't provide IPv6, apart from either lacking expertise (which I find hard to believe) or leadership and will (which is more likely in my opinion).