Waiting on Tech

Options
Frout
Frout Posts: 3 ✭✭

I just moved into my new apartment and ordered Internet, the technician is supposed to be here between 7:30am and 8pm.

I just found out my intercom doesn't work, does the technician call or text when he gets here? If not I'll have to sit out front all day.

Best Answer

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Wow.. Didn't realize that. Like I said, in my case, the tech called as he was parking (even saw him on my security camera).

But many may not call, try to ring and if no answer they may leave, and you'd be forced to reschedule.

If you can't be in front, I would strongly recommend putting a note on the door/intercom for the tech to call you. Either way, with defective intercom, there should hopefully be a note already.

Answers

• Emporium
    Options

Hi @Frout

Are you sure about the time ? Usually when you set up an appointment, you select morning, afternoon or evening ?

Mine I scheduled for afternoon and it was from 12pm to 5pm. You can check your plan, then selecting your Internet package and click on "Manage Plan", and you will have an option for "appointments".

In my case, the technician called me as soon as he was parked outside my home. Unfortunately, I can comment for all technicians.

Maybe you can just put a note on the door, specifying that intercom does not work, and if it is "technician for internet install" for "your place", then to call "your number".

• Frout
    Options

Yeah, for Saturday there was no different slots, just an all day one.

• Frout
    Options

Well that was a waste of a day. Tech did call before coming to the door but couldn't gain access to the cable boxes on the roof. Called building maintenance and they said the install guys are supposed to have keys to get in. Install guy told me he'll need someone from maintenance on site before he comes back.

• Emporium
    Options

Sorry to hear about your experience, but this seems to be an issue with many service providers and larger appartment/condo buildings. In some cases, for the smaller units, they will also refuse to install, unless they have written consent from building owner, to drill through the walls to pass the Coax (if there is not one already). Many building owners have complained in the past.

I had actually complained to B3LL for an install done for a tenant of mine a few years back. But that install was so substandard, that I had to go and fix it myself. NO drip loop outside, and did not even seal the entry point :(