Consistent disconnects through wired ethernet connection, "Request Timed Out".

Options
Flux
Flux Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Internet

Over the past three days straight playing video games through my wired connection to my fizz home modem has been impossible, I encounter constant disconnects from my games. At first I thought this was primarily a firewall issue as when I run speedtests during disconnects it shows I have appropriate download and upload speeds as well as normal ping. Then when I dug a little deeper I believe this is primarily an ISP issue (hence why I'm reaching out), these are the things I have done multiple times;

• Wired my connection (disabled wifi to effectively troubleshoot)
  • Rebooted the router / Factory reset the router
  • Disabled all firewalls
  • Flushed my computers DNS cache and reset network settings

Considering I was getting normal speed tests I decided to monitor pings to my modem from my computer, this was completely normal throughout the disconnect periods (no problem between my computer and the modem). I then decided to monitor pings with google DNS (8.8.8.8), I have figured out that I am receiving "Request timed out" pings fairly frequently that also coincide with periods that I disconnect. This problem is not isolated to my wired desktop and also exists for my laptop that is connected via wifi. I do not know what else to do and believe this is primarily an ISP issue, Fizz please help me fix this issue.

Answers

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,840 ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Flux You should contact the support, to check the problem. Is it possible that you do not have enough bandwidth for your usages ?

one of possible problem when you lose an UDP packet is for congestion

Go on this page https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-device-cannot-connect-wi-fi-how-do-i-fix, click on the green bubble on the bottom right corner and select chat to be able to be in contact with a customer agent

• telmorrr
    telmorrr Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the information!

This discussion has been closed.