I have a Videotron LOCK that prevents me to unscrew the coax cable from the modem

Options
MrT
MrT Posts: 15 ✭✭

I want to subscribe with Fizz for internet, but I cannot unscrew the coax cable from the back of the Videotron modem to replace it with the Fizz modem. And I REFUSE TO PAY ANY technician to come to my home to remove this freaking lock. Any idea.?

Best Answers

• Mario_FQDZA
    Mario_FQDZA Posts: 3,158 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"do you think there is a Fizz technician that will come at my home? for free?"

Yes, when you subscribe with Free installation, a technician will come to your place to make sure you have a good cable connection and leave you the modem. All the instructions are supplied and easy to follow. If you know how to plug a power cord and screw a coax cable connector, you don't need the VIP installation. Some technicians will even do that for you for free. It depends on the technician. :)

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you don't want to cut the cable, you can get the "CATV shield tool" for around 10$ on Amazon (and perhaps electronic shops) or 5$ from AliExpress (but it will takes 6-8 weeks to get to you). The tool looks something like this:

Answers

• Mario_FQDZA
    Mario_FQDZA Posts: 3,158 ✭✭
    Options

Cut the coax cable with a pair of pliers. The Fizz technician will install a new connector.

• MrT
    MrT Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

do you think there is a Fizz technician that will come at my home? for free?

• M_J
    M_J Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options

I had that same issue and got rid of the locks some time ago (my house got flooded and I needed to move everything so I could live completely upstairs for a while). If you use needlenose pliers, it might work. I think I ended up having to cut the metal thing on one of them (but left the cable intact otherwise) because of the space (I had the locks in 2 places). Strange how I returned my equipment to Videotron the other day and nobody asked me how I got the locks off.....

Anyway, I think I used a pair of aviation snips on the one I had to cut. It was slow going and with much swearing, but I got them off.

Good luck!!!

• Ihssan
    Ihssan Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Options

If you subscribe to fizz and choose auto install the technician will take care of the lock for free.

• mahdi M. #27800
    mahdi M. #27800 Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Options

I think that if you contact videotron their tecnitian can uninstall the router from your home

• Hoang T. #38498
    Hoang T. #38498 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Options

If you don't have any tool, does the technician unlock for free ?

• Hoang T. #38498
    Hoang T. #38498 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz support told me that the technician should unlock for free so you can do yourself the installation

This discussion has been closed.