DHCP reservation errors

Tomer
Tomer Posts: 15 ✭✭

Hi,

I used the DHCP reservation for a while and all was good until recently.

Recently, without any notice i found that i'm not able to access to one of my device using my reserved IP, after digging a bit i found that ALL my DHCP reservation list is gone, invisible, and all my devices start to get random IP address from the pool.

Now i tried to re-add the devices but the router bouncing back with errors, if i click on 'add' from the client IPs it gives me the following error message "Repeated Host name is invalid." but if i scroll down to the reserved list, it's empty.

Also, in other cases, different device, if i click 'Add' it adding it to the list, and then if i click 'save' it seems to save but when it closes the reservation screen i can see error on the top left side (see screenshot) and if i open back the reservation screen, my records does not saved.

Another problem, from the reservation screen if i click add on other devices but change the IP for example ip by default was 192.168.0.111 and i want to change it o 192.168.0.60 i get error 'ipError' and then 'IP Reservation should only work inside the DHCP pool.' but the IP is in the pool.

What next? the reservation is completely not working, and i really need it for some of my devices.

I don't want to use Static IP.

Thank you for your help

Best Answer

• André L. #16536
    André L. #16536 Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry for being a pain, but why do you need to reserve IPs (or have the DHCP server reserve IPs) for your devices? In 99% of home networks, enabling DHCP server assign as it sees fit is the best solution.

Ok, I will admit that I have assigned IPs to most of my network devices because I have a lot of IoT devices and backend services that I want to have static IPs so they will always link among each other. But like I say, this is not what just about everyone does.

Dont forget that each of your devices on your network need to be configured to retrieve their IP from your DHCP and not hard code it. If your router is properly configured, then your DHCP server will always provide that static IP for that device (based on its MAC address).

If you use a VPN client or virtual servers (or virtual NIC), they will have new MAC addresses, so your DHCP server will not recognize them until you update your DHCP reservation list with those new MAC addresses.

As @Zenthar suggests, for routing services, you should use a dedicated router and leave the Fizz modem/router as a simple modem (and pass through the internet connexion to your router.

Remember the old days when some people bought a TV that had a VCR and a DVD player integrated as one unit? How convenient, 1 purchase for 3 functionalities! Well you get a sub-quality TV plus a cheap VCR and beta DVD player for a big price. Works for some, but for anything past "rudimentary" needs, you are best to choose each component. Same thing applies to these Modem/Router/Firewalls/etc

Answers

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭

I'll let other report if they have similar issues, but my honest to God opinion is anyone with any thing but the most basic requirements (and by that I mean "get devices to access the internet") should use their own router, Fizz' router feature is the equivalent of a 30-50$ router packaged in a modem. The simple fact that you seem to know what a DHCP reservation is tells me you are more than just a basic user. The same way IE is the #1 browser to go download a better browser, the Fizz router is the #1 router to go buys a better router online.

It doesn't need to a something super pricey, I often recommend the TP-Link Archer A9 (on sale on Amazon for 70$ right now) as it's probably one of the more affordable yet reliable one on the market and it has a Gigabit uplink so internet speed above 100Mbps will be supported.

• Tomer
    edited June 2021

I'm using in total 10-12 devices (family), it just some of the devices like printers i want to be reserved so i will be able and print anytime anywhere, so i'm not think my usage is above average usage...

And it worked for a almost a year, since first time setting a year ago, i never touched the router, now when i have this issue, i start to troubleshooting this issue.

I was thinking reset factory default but trying to find other solutions.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭

I've seen people reporting changes/loss of functionality since the last firmware update (like unable to select the subnet IP), maybe something similar happened to DHCP reservation.

• Tomer

You want to say that the router can't handle 2-3 IP Reservation? and for 2-3 IPs i need to but a new router? does it make any sense?

• DooomsDay
    DooomsDay Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hello,

Seems like its either a hardware issue or a problem with a software update.

• DooomsDay

For more complex issues like this, you may want to reach out to fizz directly

• DooomsDay

CHAT

• Go to this page https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issuesif you are not connect login
    • The business hours: every day from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EST).
    • Wait 5 seconds for the bubble icon to appear at the bottom right of the browser and click on the icon to chat with support. Try a different browser if you have issues getting the bubble to appear.

If the chat bubble does not appear, this means that the number of sessions waiting for our answers surpasses our processing capacity. If that happens, send us a private message via Facebook Messenger or Twitter.

FACEBOOK

Your can also send a message via facebook messanger https://facebook.com/fizzca and click send a message (this is a bit slower)

CONTACT FORM

You can also fill a contact form from your account Once logged in, from the account panel go to My Profile → Contact Form (the subject are limited) and fill out the form and someone will email you back.

Flag

This discussion has been closed.