120Mbps service promotion (traffic management policy?)

Options
Simon
Simon Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have two questions related to the current 120Mbps service promotion:

Does anyone know details regarding the “traffic management policy” disclaimer?  I don’t consider my household to use excessive bandwidth, but the pandemic has meant that both parents are working from home (Zoom calls, etc) and both kids get far more plugged-in time (YouTube, etc) than ever before. I’m wondering what would happen to my upload speed if congestion were to occur and Fizz imposed this lower priority rating to my connection. By the sounds of it, other members would continue to receive their full speed and I would have whatever is left, potentially leaving me with significantly less speed than them, correct? Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much they could slow down the upload speed, say to 5Mbps?

For the question about whether our previously accumulated upgrades would transfer, refer to the other post: https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2621882/120mbps-service-promotion-upgrades-still-applicable/p1?new=1)

Best Answer

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I’ve never had a problem with Fizz Internet and artificially slowed speeds. In my household we even use the internet to stream games. I think this is more a general network issue. Every provider reserves the right to momentarily restrict data speeds (happens quite often with some mobile phone providers). The problem is that the network in general can only handle a certain amount of bandwidth and if it is exceeded they need to restrict it momentarily to ensure that some users don’t loose their connection altogether. Since 120/200 user, I assume, have priority in general, they reshuffle the priority when there is congestion.

However, I would assume that this happens very rarely otherwise Fizz would lose customers pretty quickly. From what I can see from your post, your internet usage is pretty normal for pandemic times, so there shouldn’t be any problems. I think the threshold is significantly higher than your usage.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this.

Answers

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options

Can anyone from FIZZ answer my question? I'd be nice to get a bit of clarity on the subject. Thank you in advance.

@StefanM : Thank you for your answer. While I fully agree with your explanation, I'm hoping to get a more "official answer" if that is possible. Cheers!

• DooomsDay
    DooomsDay Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Options

If you want contact from fizz please let them know:

CHAT

• Go to this page https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issuesif you are not connect login
    • The business hours: every day from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EST).
    • Wait 5 seconds for the bubble icon to appear at the bottom right of the browser and click on the icon to chat with support. Try a different browser if you have issues getting the bubble to appear.

If the chat bubble does not appear, this means that the number of sessions waiting for our answers surpasses our processing capacity. If that happens, send us a private message via Facebook Messenger or Twitter.

FACEBOOK

Your can also send a message via facebook messanger https://facebook.com/fizzca and click send a message (this is a bit slower)

CONTACT FORM

You can also fill a contact form from your account Once logged in, from the account panel go to My Profile → Contact Form (the subject are limited) and fill out the form and someone will email you back.

Flag

This discussion has been closed.