Bridged modem only issues public IP to specific router.

Jacques_Assert
Jacques_Assert Posts: 156 ✭✭

With Videotron, any time you change the attached device (typically the edge router on the network) you must reset or power cycle the cable modem.

I have the Fizz cable modem in bridge mode acting functionally the same as a Videotron modem.

I cloned my router and tried to use the clone instead of the current router but the Fizz modem would not issue an IP address (via DHCP) to the clone.

I reset the Fizz modem via paperclip, at which point my router acquired a private IP 192.168.0.x issued by the Fizz modem. I turned off the residential gateway function (enabled bridge mode) and I could not get a public IP.

When I reconnected the original modem, it got a public IP immediately.

I'd be inclined to blame the cloned router, but it got a private IP from the Fizz modem so it's not a DHCP issue on the router side. It feels like an issue similar to Videotron where the cable modem requires a reset to change the connected device.

Q: Is there a specific procedure to change the connected router when using bridge mode?

Best Answer

• Ihssan
    Ihssan Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓

Power cycle is required when you enable bridge mode.

Also when the modem is in bridge mode a power cycle is required if you plug a different router to the modem or change the mac adress of the router.

Just like videotron.

This discussion has been closed.