Only the 5ghz shows up on my computer

Options
Mike64
Mike64 Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited May 2021 in Internet

The reason I am asking is that my printer is only able to work if it's on the 2.4ghz channel, but that channel doesn't show up as an option when I'm logging in to my wifi. Previously, I had the option of which network, 2.4 or 5.0 (with Videotron) that I could choose from. I've disabled band steering on the 5G. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When deactivating Band Steering you must give both 2.4GHz & 5GHz frequencies a different "Network name" (SSID).

Also make sure they are enabled and that the SSID is broadcasted. That last one shouldn't make a big difference but maybe the printer "needs to see it" for its first connection.

If your printer remembers a previous Network setting, it could prove useful to have it forget any previous network names, if possible.

This screen capture is from an old source (I'm in bridge mode) but should look very similar.

Answers

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

With Band Steering enabled, both 2.4 and 5GHz signals can share the same SSID (name).

Only one will appear, but which you use can be determined by settings in your Wi-Fi adapter (Band Preference).

The printer will only use 2.4GHz, regardless.

Most likely, you have AP Isolation enabled so your Wi-Fi signal is firewalled from the Printer's Wi-Fi signal.

Try connecting your computer directly to the modem using a cable. If the printer works, then it's not a Wi-Fi band issue but a routing (AP Isolation) issue. I don't remember the exact option, and at least one person claims that it does not exist, but I remember seeing something like this when I was setting up a modem.

I can't verify as I'm using bridge mode.

This discussion has been closed.