UX Design: Plan migration rules

Options
Jacques_Assert
Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭

There is a basic design problem combining Internet and Mobile plans on the same account.

Internet connections are associated with a physical location and do not move.

But mobile plans are associated with a person and are *mobile*.

People are mobile but physical locations are immobile.

This is normal.

But the UI does not allow mobile plan to move between Fizz accounts.

It can add a plan to an account.

It can add a user with a Fizz account to another account.

But it can not add a plan of a user with a Fizz account to an account.

https://fizz.ca/en/solutions/user

Q: Is this an edge case that customer service can deal with?

Q: Or am I forced to keep all plans split into separate accounts because people move around?

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Q: Is this an edge case that customer service can deal with?

A: I don't think they can solve it, especially when the FAQ says they are working on a solution (which has been there for a while now):

As much for a mobile plan as for an Internet plan, our systems do not allow the transfer from one account to another. It is also impossible to group several accounts together. These are features we are working on, but for now, it is impossible.

[...]

And that is why we are working hard to address this situation as soon as possible

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/it-possible-transfer-my-plan-another-account

Q: Or am I forced to keep all plans split into separate accounts because people move around?

A: It looks like a safe strategy for the time being, having the option to join some later. The only drawback is each account won't progress as fast in the rewards program as if they were combined. The good thing is the benefit to use referrals when you open them separately.

Answers

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

You can contact the support and ask.

But many people created manya ccount to get the referal bonus so its seem, to me, not right to give this people the hability to merge their multiple account. Tour case is legetimated but i see many unlegitimate use for this kind of feature.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Meh. Fizz gets to make the rules. If someone figures out a way to benefit from them a little more than most, good for them. There is an opportunity cost to your time as well.

You could always cancel/recreate an account every three months if you wanted to maximum referral bonuses. So it would seem in their interest to consolidate accounts wherever possible.

Regardless, the problem remains. With four plans and two kids moving out, each into an environment where they are getting Fizz Internet but not expecting to stay indefinitely, the easiest thing is to separate every account if you can't (re)combine them. And that's going to maximize referral bonus payouts from day one.

If they allowed people to migrate a plan (without reward points following) it would seem to benefit Fizz.

And I don't think that Fizz can ignore CRTC porting rules just because the number is moving between two Fizz accounts. They already accept Videotron port ins and even streamline the cancellation process (since it's the same company). Assuming that Fizz must abide by CRTC rules, moving a plan requires at most the purchase of a new SIM.

This discussion has been closed.