How to enable a non-data Videotron Line to send/receive MMS?

DinoS
DinoS Posts: 626 ✭✭

I have a call only Videotron sim as "free" line from my family plan , it can only call/sms , no data, no MMS. I have other Fizz line (Ottawa number) for myself. Now if I need go to Montreal, I will change my Videotron line to a Montreal 438 or 514 number. Here is the problem: I can't send/receive MMS, no data on this Videotron line. I tried it on a Redmi dual sim phone, I still can't send/receive SMS from Videotron neither.

Other than pay $40 (as videotron said) to let the "FREE" videotron line has data. Any work around to let this "free" line can send/receive MMS?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Since you have a dual-sim Redmi why can't you use you own SIM for data and the Videotron SIM for everything else (except MMS)?

And why aren't dual-sim phones more common in Canada? I have had several Xiaomi's as well.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓

As I understand it, his plan does not allow him to do that. He would need to upgrade the plan in order to receive SMS or have Internet.

@DinoS have you tried simply buying a text add-on from Videotron? Porting your number usually only requires that you confirm via SMS.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Assuming his Ottawa SIM still functions, use it for data and use the Videotron 438/514 SIM for voice. This is possible with a dual SIM phone.

If he intends to cancel his Ottawa number, he could instead port it to a service like VoIP.ms that would allow for receipt of SMS (via email) even if it would remain difficult to send.

But the simple plan with a dual SIM phone would be to use Videotron for everything that it gives for free, and use your Ottawa SIM for the rest. Or just use your Ottawa SIM for everything. The price delta is not huge, which is why Videotron gives 'free' SIMs in the first place.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.