Technical: Is there a way to restrict GUEST access to 2.4GHz?

Options
Jacques_Assert
Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭

I want to give guest access without reducing performance to normal users.

In the absence of good QoS, I want to restrict guests to 2.4GHz to avoid interference with normal users who are exclusively using 5GHz.

When GUEST access is enabled, SSIDs for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz must be defined.

Q: Is there a way to disable guest access for only 5GHz?

Q: Is there a way to create a guest SSID that is not broadcast?

Note that the link below appears to say you can when Band Steering is disabled, but this does not work. Disabling band steering will allow you to enter unique names for both 2.4 and 5GHz guest SSIDs, but both must be defined.

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/comment/5318233#Comment_5318233

Best Answer

• Rowan
    Rowan Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello

I dont think that there is a way to restrict guest access to 2.4 Ghz.

Answers

• methier
    methier Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Well to answer your question, I haven't found a way to actually put the guest wifi on the 2.4Ghz. Normally it should'nt actually do anything to performance whether your guests are on the 2.4ghz or 5Ghz. The difference will be on the devices used (protocol used). simply note that the 2.4Ghz reaches further but at lower speeds and the 5Ghz at faster speeds but will not reach as far.

theoretical (under ideal conditions) 2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps and that 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps.

Even 2.4 is overkill right now since Fizz's MAX internet only offers 200Mbps.

Hope this Helps

• Ralph P. #33564
    Ralph P. #33564 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

For both question: I don't think it is possible. I've tried doing it for myself and I'm getting the same issue as you.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

The issue with 2.4 GHz is that it avoids contention for local devices if the guests are never on 5GHz. While both can exceed the speed of the Fizz Internet connection, in practise the Wi-Fi bandwidth is more limited. 2.4GHz is generally a mess where people don't limit themselves to 20MHz bands on channels 1, 6, 11 and so you may as well be trying to talk in a crowded bar. Move closer, or nothing is heard.

It's just another way to segregate traffic.

It would be nice if things like this could be configured via a text config file rather than via a limited GUI interface.

This discussion has been closed.