IP adress changes everyday

Options

My IP adress changes every single day, and I need it to stay the same because I use it for work (to stay connected to the VPN Network at the office)! pls Help

Best Answer

• methier
    methier Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm assuming you're talking about Your modems IP and not the IP of your device connected to your router. I'm hosting websites at home and im using DuckDNS they're are a couple of other services that offer a static IP that redirect to your IP and that can be updated when ever it changes. It all depends on how your works VPN is setup and what you can do with your network at home.

PS as James B Said very well, IP shouldn't change every day.

Mine usually changes every 3 months or so.

Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

I've heard of Internet Service Providers (ISP) that charge to reserve you an IP. I don't think Fizz does that.

I believe an IP (and not necessary a recurrent one) is assigned to your modem at connection time to the ISP. It could happen when restarting your modem daily? Or when a blip occurs and that acquisition is done again.

Maybe using a first VPN on the router itself or some form of proxy service could do the trick? Then you could use your employer's VPN on your computer.

Whitelisting IPs seems like an odd approach when blacklisting IPs seems "easier". I guess your IT department has its reasons...

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz uses Videotron infrastructure and the normal behaviour with Videotron is to only issue a new IP address when the device MAC address changes (or when it's been off the network so long that the previous DHCP issued address has expired, was not renewed, and eventually recycled).

Mine has remained unchanged since I signed up with Fizz, and was also unchanged while I was with Teksavvy, who were both using Videotron infrastructure. If your IP address does change everyday, but your modem is not turned off nightly, you should contact repair.

I do not think this is normal.

• mary1546668
    mary1546668 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

interesting

• mary1546668
    Options

how do we even contact for repair they do not have a phone number.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

I dont thnik Fizz offert static IP. Its not suppose to changed every day but there not garantie.

I use No-Ip service to keep track of my current IP and acces my network.

No phone number its in the deal :) Fizz only work by chat with the ? or facebook messenger. A Whizz can pass here too and help with that.

• mary1546668
    Options

I contacted them on the app and on Messenger but unfortunately they are unable to help.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

Unless you turn your modem off every night, this is abnormal behaviour.

A CS rep will not be able to help, but repair should be notified that this is occurring.

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Options

You need a static IP to connect to work? That's the first time I hear of that. If you need to have your work's network sort of connect back, maybe but even that would be irregular. If you can use url, register a no-ip address and both will keep in sync. I know of very few ISP that would give static IPS to residential connections, they might be "mostly static", but that might be pure coincidence.

This discussion has been closed.