Keeping my number and switching accounts

melbards
melbards Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently with Bell and have an old cell phone and sim card with them. I recently bought a newer phone (samsung galaxy a21s) with a completely different sim card size.

What I want to do is keep my old cell number but at the same time switch to Fizz and thus a new sim card with my new phone. What would be the best way to do this?

-Should I tell Bell that I want to change phones and then a few days later switch to Fizz?

OR

-Can I simply just switch to Fizz with my new phone and at the same time keep my old cell number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answers

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

It should be doable yes as long as the old phone and SIM card are still active and work.

When you register your new Fizz SIM card, chose the "keep my number" option and it will ask you info about your current provider and account. Then you will get an SMS from your current provider (using the old SIM which is why you need and active SIM, account and phone) asking confirmation for the transfer for which you need to answer "yes". After a little while (few hours sometimes, although for me it was more like 30-45 minutes) you will get an email from Fizz saying the transfer is done and also an SMS in your new SIM saying the same; then you're all set, welcome to fizz.

If you don't already have a referral code, feel free to use mine for added bonus (25$ I believe) after 2nd month, this must be done at registration and can only be done once for your whole account (incl. multiple mobiles or internet) so don't miss it because Fizz can't do it afterward; you snooze you loose.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quick facts and tips:

• a SIM card is a identity card for the service provider. So they cannot be recycled from a service provider to another. BUT once deactivated they can be probably given/sold to future clients of your previous supplier, remember that if you ever leave Fizz.
    • You can insert a SIM card in almost any phone you want, and at will. At no cost. your plan remains unchanged. This is an actual good troubleshooting tip if problems arise. You should be able to do that right now with Bell (provided you have the canvas).
    • You can order Fizz SIM cards online at https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-order-sim-card
    • You can purchase Fizz SIM cards on site at participating Couche-Tard stores . Map is at https://fizz.ca/en/sim-card#stores
    • Fizz needs you to get a SIM card for each mobile plan you want. They are multiple form factors, you just need to select the correct canvas provided :

Line transfer (detailed here)

• most importantly NEVER CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT if you want to keep a phone number. your line must still be active with your current/previous provider. Fizz will disconnect your old provider for you during the activation process. You will need the account number for your current/previous mobile provider (a 9 digits number for Bell, non leading 0, do not use the 14-digit account number starting with ZZZ)
    • Only mobile numbers coming from the province of Quebec or the Ottawa region can be transferred
    • Only numbers from the Fizz subscription area can be transferred to Fizz. If your number starts with an area code outside the subscription area, your number cannot be transferred

Use the referral code at the ORDER SUMMARY step on your first activation (so not applicable if you already have home Internet with Fizz)

• It's the only place you can apply it
    • It's the only moment, forgetting it and it's too late

This discussion has been closed.