Someone changed password on WiFi router (CODA-4680)

Options
Stanley
Stanley Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2021 in Internet

Hello. I cannot connect to my router (CODA-4680) anymore using http://192.168.0.1 and cusadmin. I've been using my own password to connect to admin section. But it's not functioning anymore. All default passwords don't work ("password" does not work, WiFi password does not work). When I click Login button router returns "{"errCode":"000","errMsg":"","result":"Error_Password_Wrong"}" back. So it means the password was changed by someone.

Question:

1) Is FIZZ changing passwords on users routers? Do you have "super" password hardcoded into firmware and can change config whenever you want?

2) Is it possible that Fizz router can be easily hacked?

3) If I do hard reset of the router do I need to provide some settings or it will be initialized (with IP) automatically?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Could it be a caps lock issue? 😉 I for one do that mistake sometimes 🙄

To your questions:

1) Is FIZZ changing passwords on users routers?

Nothing of sort has been reported so far. I would expect a very exceptional reason for them to do so, and some communication to be done to the customer. That would cut the service in a strange fashion considering they can just simply stop the service itself.

Do you have "super" password hardcoded into firmware and can change config whenever you want?

Not to my knowledge. But if they do (or the manufacturer), I'd expect them not to share that information for security purposes since its the gate keeper for all their clients.

2) Is it possible that Fizz router can be easily hacked?

Easily? We'd have to find vulnerability reports about that. But my guess is: very difficult. Usually, when someone is a hacked it's because of a a weak cyber hygiene .

Then again, I wonder what happens if 2 close neighbors have Fizz routers and try to connect with the Fizz App; I'd presume there is some authentication done to make sure they connect to the correct modem (with the password written in its side).

3) If I do hard reset of the router do I need to provide some settings or it will be initialized (with IP) automatically?

This is your best and probably only solution. You'll get the same password as the one written on its side. The IP will probably remain the same, otherwise a new one will be reassigned by Fizz.

And yes, you will have to rebuilt the wifi settings you previously set, like when you did the first time. See this for all the steps: ttps://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-install-my-wi-fi-modem

Mind you, for WIFI setup, we often suggest to :

Answers

• Stanley
    Options

The software version: {"errCode":"000","errMsg":"","deviceId":"<some devId>","modelName":"CODA-4680","vendorName":"FIZ","SerialNum":"<some serial number>","HwVersion":"2A","ApiVersion":"1.12.1","SoftwareVersion":"7.1.1.2.7b8","deploymentName":"VIDEOTRON","VendorLogo":"0"}

• IsE
    IsE Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options

Have you tried different browsers? Or on your phone browser? It happened to me with other routers. Page wouldn't open, password would not be accepted etc. I don't know why using a different browser that doesn't have the login info works, but it helped me.

• Stanley
    Options

Tried in different browsers, from phone as well. I do suspect it's related to one of the updates applied to the router. Will reset.

• Ali S. #829
    Ali S. #829 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options

I think someone has changed the password but take look at the following combinations. If a change of fw has changed the password, it might have changed to any of the followings

These are all default username/passwords I found for a similar Hitron model:

1 cusadmin password

2 admin admin

3 cusadmin Printed on Router Label

4 password

This discussion has been closed.