Issues with loading pages/images/videos/apps

Options
Joey S. #16814
Joey S. #16814 Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2021 in Internet

I recently started having issues with loading pages/images/videos/apps on my iPhone when connected to wifi. Nothing has changed on my end. I still have the same download speed (30mbs - I initially had the 10mbps package and upgraded).

I changed my internet password thinking other people were on my network. Turns out it isn't the problem. Even loading Netflix on my TV gives me the following error: tvq-pb-101 (5.2.7).

I also can't cast anything from my phone to my TV anymore.

How can I fix this and is there a possibility to have a Fizz customer service on the phone? Can I "reset completely" my modem? I tried unplugging and plugging several times already. Maybe a hard reboot can fix the issue. Could the modem by defective?

EDIT: I live in a condo 600 sq feet condo - so router distance isn't an issue. Building is less than 2 years old.

Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,901 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Joey S.,

If any changes have caused a problem, you can factory reset your modem at any time.

Using a thin, pointed object, hold the restart button on the Wi-Fi modem for 10+ seconds.

Once your modem has restarted, follow the same instructions as when you first installed it.

IMPORTANT: this operation will reset any changes that have been made to the settings of your Wi-Fi modem to date. You may also have to reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings of your devices (network name, password, etc. .)

The default username of your Wi-Fi network, as well as the corresponding password, are written on a sticker affixed to the back of your Wi-Fi modem (Default Wi-Fi network and Default key).

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

Note that Wi-Fi difficulties can arise from several causes.

Here are some 2 quick troubleshooting steps to try:

(A) Deactivate Band Steering 

As described here https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-wi-fi-technologies-used-fizz#2

1) Go to: 192.168.0.1 on your browser

2) Login using the following information:

• Username: cusadmin
    • Password: xxxxxxxx (your WiFi password)

3) Go to this section to apply changes:

Wireless → General Settings → 5GHz → Band Steering (Disable)

(B) Manually select your modem's Wi-Fi channels

As described here https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it#5

1. Connect to your Wi-Fi network. 

2. Open the browser on any device, and enter the address: 192.168.0.1

3. Login using these credentials:

• Username: cusadmin
    • Password: xxxxxxxx (your WiFi password)

4. In the green bar, select Wireless.

5. Then, select:

• General Settings 
    • 5 GHz and/or 2.4 GHz ℹ️
    • Wireless channel

6. Select a different channel

ℹ️ To choose between 5GHz and 2.4GHz:

5GHz frequency band:

• Less exposed to interference (walls, etc.)
    • Faster maximum speeds
    • Less range

2.4GHz frequency band:

• More exposed to interference
    • Slower maximum speeds
    • Greater range

How can I fix this and is there a possibility to have a Fizz customer service on the phone?

There is no phone number to reach Fizz, only chat tools. See below.

Can I "reset completely" my modem? I tried unplugging and plugging several times already. Maybe a hard reboot can fix the issue.

Yes you can. It could solve problems. You will have to reconfigure it a bit but it is worth a try.

Could the modem by defective?

Yes. Very rarely tho. It happened to a friend of mine.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

To chat:

1. Go to a FAQ page e.g. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services
    2. Look bottom right for the big ❔ question mark in a green bubble.
    3. Click it, options will be displayed
    4. Choose "Chat"
    5. Note: the bubble will only display the chat for a computer version. If you are on a cell phone, you must check "Desktop site" in your browser settings.
    6. Submit your question with possibly a relevant screenshot or modem photo 
    7. After that will be displayed the number of customers preceding you, to manage your expectations. Updated real time.

ALTERNATIVELY, try leaving a message on Facebook Messenger (https://www.facebook.com/fizzca), iMessage or Twitter private. The advantages of their tool are the management of waiting times and the ability to print (e.g. PDF) a copy of the conversation for your records. Sometimes you can even leave a comment about your satisfaction with the conversation.