Can't connect an external router to the Fizz modem

Options
BobLeore
BobLeore Posts: 5 ✭✭

I cannot connect an external router (RT-N66U) to the Fizz modem. I followed the instructions on disabling the "residential gateway function" on the Fizz modem but once it reboots the external router can't connect to the internet. Am I missing some other settings?

Best Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,932 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi BobLeore,

Make sure to follow the instructions from Fizz: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

Once you have connected your router, please restart both the Fizz modem and your router.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have to restard both. Close both. Power the modem Fizz wait a little bit and power your router. The connection should append without problem.

Have a nice day :)

Answers

• BobLeore
    Options

I followed the instructions but I'm getting a DHCP error when I sign into my external router. Do I also need to disable DHCP in the Fizz LAN setup?

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

If you follow the instruction : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz all should be disabled automatiquely the mode bridge disable all router fonction.

Maybe reset the modem and retry from the start ?

I use my own router and after a reboot of both all work without problem so i dont know how to said sorry.

• BobLeore
    Options

I got it to work after a few tries. Here's the steps I followed:

1. Disable "Residential gateway function" on Fizz
    2. Save changes
    3. Unplug Fizz modem, wait a few seconds, then replug
    4. Wait till the lights start flashing on Fizz modem before connecting to the external router
    5. Turn on external router
    6. Wait a few minutes before it syncs up
    7. I found that unplugging/replugging the LAN cable connecting the Fizz modem to the external router may have helped

Thanks for confirming that the default instructions will work, with a little patience.

This discussion has been closed.