Why does my mobile data usage increase even when on a stable wi-fi connection?

I just switch two phones over from Videotron. They are both on a stable Wi-Fi connection most of the day, and in fact one phone has not been off Wi-Fi in a few days (it has not left the house). But I'm seeing more mobile data usage than I did with Videotron, despite no change in behaviour. I know about iPhone Wi-FI assist, and I don't believe that is a factor. When I review the usage on Videotron for the same devices, on days when I know one of the devices is off Wi-Fi, they still used less data than either phone has while on Wi-Fi in the two days since switching to FIzz.
Phone A:
Fizz:
Day 1: 54MB - this usage occured in the 7 hours from when Fizz was activated; I visited one website, then turned on WiFi
Day 2: 53MB - typical usage - 15 minutes in the car with Google maps, WiFi the rest of the time
Videotron:
Day -1: 110MB - data was used off wi-fi
Day -2: 14.76MB - typical usage - 15 minutes in the car with Google maps, WiFi the rest of the time, still less than Fizz
Day -3: 0.26MB - the phone did not leave the house
Day -4: 47.93 MB - typical usage - 15 minutes in the car with Google maps, WiFi the rest of the time, still less than Fizz
Phone B:
Fizz:
Day 1: 23MB - in the 6 hours since Fizz was activated
Day 2: 24MB (so far) - the phone has not left the house, let alone the table it is sitting on, WiFi is always on
Videotron:
Day -1: 0.64MB
Day -2: 0.39MB
Day -3: 82MB - the last time the phone left the house
Day -4: 0.32MB
Thanks.

Answers

• Warren L. #31784
    Warren L. #31784 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Alright, so my unscientific test went as follows:
    At 20:51 yesterday I reset the statistics on my phone.
    As of 15:34 today, my phone says I used 69.0 MB of data.
    Fizz says I used 72 MB. Not a terrible difference, so I can accept this.
    It is clear to me that the Fizz stats are rounded up; why it added 3MB extra, I don't know and I don't like.
    When I checked my stats this morning, the overnight cellular usage was 250KB, but Fizz was showing 1MB of usage, which is alarming.
  • Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,819 ✭✭
    Warren

Thanks for your update. I suggest to keep checking for a few more days.
    Over the course of the next few days, the difference should be minimal or almost zero.
  • Warren L. #31784
    Warren L. #31784 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I followed the data usage since September 25 and it seems to line up with what my phone says. So all is well.
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!
  • Lieux
    Lieux Posts: 2,528 ✭✭
    Warren good news!!
This discussion has been closed.