Changing router- how much downtime?

Options
Vincent D. 39366
Vincent D. 39366 Posts: 214 ✭✭
I gotta change routers after some issues, how much downtime should I expect from the day I make the request? Thinking of timing it with some time I'll be out of town...

Answers

• hc0468
    hc0468 Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Options
    If you are just changing the modem/router and the cable connection is ok, there should be virtually no downtime.

Disconnect the old one, connect the new one and configure. If you're quick it should be under 10 minutes.

Note that this will be done with a technician bringing the replacement (just like the first time at installation), and they will also take back the old one. While there, it will be good to have the technician verify the signal and check for any other problems.

The main variable is the availability for a technician appointment. If you're lucky they might be available on the same day you contact them. Usually you can get appointments within 1-2 days.
  • Olivier R. #3666
    Olivier R. #3666 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭
    Options
    Maybe 30 minutes.
  • clau3166
    clau3166 Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Options
    Probably best to check with Fizz customer service on that one - they may be able to arrange something for you! You can contact them via messenger on facebook or using the green chat pop up button on the website during their business hours. Good luck!
  • Jimmy N. #14505
    Jimmy N. #14505 Posts: 620 ✭✭
    Options
    Only them can tell you, unfortunately.
  • MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    Options
    Vincent,
    When you will receive the new modem with all the instructions.
    It can take maximum 30 minutes to get well connected.
  • Chris K. #7521
    Chris K. #7521 Posts: 486 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm assuming they will have to link your account from the old to the new modem. I'm not sure how long that takes, but I can't imagine it takes very long. Once your new modem is connected, it may take a few minutes if it needs to update.
  • Mathieu B. 1569
    Mathieu B. 1569 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    Good to know! I was actually considering to switch to fizz eventually as my internet provider.
This discussion has been closed.