Is there a traffic counter for Fizz Internet?

hc0468
hc0468 Posts: 168 ✭✭

I know the plans have unlimited bandwidth, but I still find it useful to check internet usage from time to time.

I could not find a traffic counter in the Fizz web portal. The Hitron modem's webgui at 192.168.100.1 shows traffic but only since the last time it was booted.

Is traffic monitoring available for Fizz internet?

Answers

• MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    hc0468,
    No, but all the Fizz's internet plan are unlimited.
    Don't worry!
  • sman
    sman Posts: 4,296 ✭✭
    No, the only way to do it, it is to put the modem in bridge and use a router with that function
  • Chris K. #7521
    Chris K. #7521 Posts: 486 ✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing. I know it's "unlimited", but I know someone who is currently on Videotron unlimited and he gets charged extra for downloading too much (maybe over 400 GB). For that reason I'm worried to refer him to Fizz in case they cancel his service.
  • Chris K. #7521
    Chris K. #7521 Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi hc0468,

Fizz does not provide this information but if you have your own router it might. Even if your routers default software does not, you may be able to install a third party firmware such as tomato which unlocks a ton of extra functionality. Including monitoring web trafic (total or even per device) in real time, per day, week, month etc.

• Jimmy N. #14505
    Jimmy N. #14505 Posts: 620 ✭✭
    I was very curious so looked up many ways to try to find how to get that info. Unfortunately, not possible with Fizz, apparently.
  • sman
    sman Posts: 4,296 ✭✭
    You should be able using the SNMP
  • hc0468
    hc0468 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Ok, so I didn't miss something simple.

I use the modem in bridge mode and my router uses dd-wrt which has traffic monitoring. However, I would still prefer to see what the ISP counts, because they do not always match. For example, my previous ISP typically counted less traffic than my router. If the ISP counts more, that would be even more important.

Again, I know the plan is "unlimited" (though is there any "fair use" policy or other limitation to "unlimited"?). It can still be useful to know the bandwidth consumed for example in case of switching to an ISP/plan that is not unlimited, or for detecting abnormal network activity.

• Alejandra D.
    Alejandra D. Posts: 272 ✭✭
    I am a bit like you hc, but yeah, seems Fizz is not like that.
  • Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,890 ✭✭

Our Fizz account does not show internet usage. Neither does the Fizz modem. Once the modem is restarted, the traffic counter is also reset.

Hc0468, like you mention, we have to use our own device(s) to track the usage.

This discussion has been closed.