Modem randomly rebooting?

Options
hc0468
hc0468 Posts: 168 ✭✭

We just got Fizz yesterday, and the modem (Hitron CODA-4680, hardware version 2A, software version 2.0.10.43b8) has rebooted 2-3 times on its own in a 24 hour period. The modem is in bridge mode (Residential Gateway Function is Disabled) so it's not due to router or wifi settings. Is there a way (logs?) to verify the cause?

We switched from an existing cable internet service (15Mbps) to Fizz (30Mbps), and the previous service and modem (DCM475) were stable. When the technician for Fizz checked the cable signal, he said it wasn't good expressing surprise that the internet worked at all, but he refused to do anything about it or give any explanation. Instead he said if it was working before, it should continue to work now. Could we get some detail on the signal quality and get it fixed if there is an issue?

Answers

• hc0468
    Options
    It's been 15 minutes with no response so far.
  • MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    Options
    Please,
    Dont hesitate, if your internet connection is not stable.
    and ask for support by chat online(8h00 to 21h00 each day):
    First, get to your account online.
    Then type this adress:
    https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues
    Wait until you see the green bubble chat down to the right of the page.
    When you see it, click on it.
    Your chat session will begin with them.
  • clau3166
    clau3166 Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Options
    If you don't mind sharing the outcome of this issue, that would be great to help future community members. Thanks!
  • Olivier R. #3666
    Olivier R. #3666 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭
    Options
    Hello, please contact the support
  • Thanh S.
    Thanh S. Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Options
    Me too, I had internet for about a week and ao far no issue.. have you asked them for help yet ?
  • Bobby P. #15876
    Bobby P. #15876 Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options
    Not normal contact fizz via messenger good luck you can only try to reboot
  • Alejandra D.
    Alejandra D. Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of liability. Have you remove all the plastic lining so it would not overheat ? Just wondering.
    Try another "plug outlet" ? Maybe the electricity ?
  • Chris K. #7521
    Chris K. #7521 Posts: 486 ✭✭
    Options
    Maybe it reboots when there is an update. If the update keeps failing, maybe that is why? Try doing a factor reset. If that doesn't work, contact support.
  • hc0468
    Options

Alejandra, yes I removed all the plastic wrapping on the unit before using. It is plugged into a UPS which serves only communication equipment (modem, router, VOIP ATA, wireless phone base, etc) which use about 20W in total so I doubt the plug or electricity/power draw is the issue. Plus, the previous modem (DCM475) was plugged in the same spot and it was stable.

Chris, good point about firmware updates possibly causing a reboot. However it happened 2-3 times in the first 24 hours, and support said there was nothing in my area that should have caused a reboot. My device is currently on software version 2.0.10.43b8. Next time I will try to take note of the software version from the beginning.

It has been about a day without another reboot so far, but I don't want to risk problems in the future given this connection is used for time critical services like VOIP, so I would like this dealt with right from the start. We'll see what the technician discovers tomorrow.

• hc0468
    Options

After the 2-3 modem reboots on the first day with Fizz, it was stable with no more reboots for the next 2 days. I don't want intermittent surprises, so I kept the technician's appointment for yesterday.

The technician was super nice (Merci Ismail de SC360, vous êtes très gentil!). He replaced the modem just in case the first was defective. He also found that a connection point for the cable outside had corrosion, so he replaced the parts. That could cause intermittent problems, which could explain why the previous technician had said the signal was bad while Fizz support said it was within norms. He then verified that the signal was good, within specifications.

It has now been one day since the technician's visit, and there have been no modem reboots. So far, so good.

• hc0468
    Options

UPDATE: There has been one more modem reboot a day ago. I wish there were a log to help figure out why.

• hc0468
    Options
    After more reboots, internet connection interruptions, and another technician visit (3 in 3 weeks!) I hope it is finally resolved. More details in my related post: https://community.fizz.ca/questions/2205838-internet-disruption-2020-01-16-13-52

In summary, the issue seems to be due to signal fluctuations in the cable line, confirmed by customer service and technicians. The coax cable from the pole to the building was replaced on the last technician's visit. Hopefully that solves the problem for good. I may post a follow up later to confirm.

A lot of this could have been avoided if the "installation" technician had acted on his observation of bad signal levels. Granted, troubleshooting signal issues is not easy, but it would have been a start.
This discussion has been closed.