Si vous recherchez quelque chose de spécifique, veuillez utiliser la barre de recherche pour vérifier si quelqu'un d'autre a posé ou répondu à la même question avant de publier une nouvelle question.

Dropping Streaming Quality on Netflix

Options
Lupe
Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭

Hi,

For the last several months, my video quality while streaming Netflix on both my appletv4K and the native app of my LG tv has been dwindling. Rarely hitting 4K for more than a minute. The video even buffers at times. This issue does not happen with other service providers such as AppleTV+ or Amazon Prime Video.

I have internet at 120GB and all my set up is hooked by Ethernet cable. When doing speed tests it shows 120GB+ as expected. I have tried factory resetting both my router and my Apple TV, reinstalling the Netflix app, nothing will fix it.

I never had this issue with my previous ISP.

i have discussed with Netflix directly and they mentioned it could have something to do with how my router or ISP processes the specific connection with Netflix, no issue on their end.

Have you had a similar issue? Any fix? I don’t want to switch ISP but it seems like it is the only test I haven’t done…

Thank you

Meilleures réponses

• Emporium
    Emporium Messages 2,303 ✭✭
    Réponse ✓
    Options

The fact that your modem is NOT in bridge mode, also means you are in double NAT, which can cause issues. The Modem has the External WAN IP. But then your google WiFi router gets an internal 192.168.x.x IP, which then in turn also has it's own DHCP which it provides to your devices. If that DHCP is also on same segment as that DHCP provided by Fuzz modem, it can cause all sorts of conflicts.

Double NAT should be avoided as much as possible.

• Agima
    Agima Messages 81 ✭✭
    Réponse ✓
    Options

@Lupe I concur with Emporium too.

Having a double NAT will definitively cause problems. If you are using your own router (Google Wi-Fi router) to broadcast your wifi signal, Fizz's modem-router need to be set in bridge mode so it won't create its own wifi signal.

Put Fizz's modem-router in bridge mode following the instruction here : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

Connect your Google router to one of the Fizz's router ethernet port. Reboot both devices just in case.

Test the speed (one time with and one time without Adaptative QOS) to see if its working properly. On or off, it shouldn't make a huge difference, especially if there is not many devices on your network using heavily Internet.

Try Netflix again. Hopefully, you shouldn't have any problem.

• Agima
    Agima Messages 81 ✭✭
    septembre 2021 modifié Réponse ✓
    Options

@Lupe

Oh I think I get it now. In Bridge mode, some router might disable all Ethernet Ports except for one. I think it's clearly the case with Fizz modem/router.

Slow Internet might also be because of a faulty Ethernet cable too...

Just to recap the devices you are indeed using:

• Fizz Modem/router
    • Google wifi router
    • AppleTV 4k
    • LG TV

Now I think you said at one point that all your deviced were ethernet wired?

For troubleshooting reasons, I think you'll need to start over in a simplier way and take as much stuff out of the equation. We will nedd to use the KISS methodology (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

1- Disconnect your Google wifi router

2- Disconnect you AppleTV 4k

3- Reset Fizz modem/router (yet again)

4- Upon restart, the modem/router should be back in normal mode (QOS on and Bridge mode off)

5- With Fizz application on a phone, make a speed test. You should get around 120mb/s

6- Use an Ethernet cable from the Fizz modem/router directly to your LG TV.

7- Test Netflix

8- If it is working, unplug the Ethernet cable from the TV, and connect you TV to your Fizz's wifi network

9- Test Netflix again

If it is working properly, we will know for sure that :

• the Fizz modem/router is working properly
    • the Ethernet cable is working
    • Fizz's wifi network is working too
    • Netflix app and your TV is fine

After this, you are going to the the AppleTV device :

1- Plug the Ethernet cable in your Apple TV 4K (try first not to connect to your wifi network).

2- If you can, make a speed test from the AppleTV device.

3- If it is working as usual, test netflix.

4- If it is working, unplug the Ethernet cable from it and connect your AppleTV to Fizz wifi network

5- make a speed test from the AppleTV device.

6- Test Netflix again

If it is working properly, we will now know for sure that :

• Netflix app and your AppleTV is fine

We will see what's next after all of those tests.

Réponses

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Messages 5,777 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Lupe

Does it happen all the time or have you noticed any pattern?

Does the issue happen only during peak hours?

Is it okay after rebooting the modem?

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Messages 5,777 ✭✭
    Options

If the problem continues, you can contact Fizz customer service by opening this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, then click on it to start your chat session with Fizz customer service.

They will surely be able to help you.

You can also do it on Facebook: https://facebook.com/fizzca

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

• Emporium
    Options

Hi @Lupe

When you do a speed test, try using https://fast.com/ and see if you can hit your 120Mbps. fast.com is actually powered by netflix, so it should be more representative of netflix speeds (since it will at least use the same routing). I just tried it on mine and I get a steady 120Mbps to 130Mbps and I also have the 120Mbps package wired.

Are you using the Modem router features, or is the modem in Bridge mode and using your own router ? I have mine in Bridge mode, since I have my own equipment for that.

• Agima
    Agima Messages 81 ✭✭
    Options

@Lupe

Like Emporium said, if you are using your own router, be sure to put Fizz's Modem-Router in Bridge Mode if you haven't done it already. You can find instruction for this here: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz

Also, if you do use your own router, you might wanna check if some kind of Adaptative QOS option is enabled. Depending on how many devices are connected to your router, disabling Adaptative QOS might help with your problem, or not!

• Lupe
    Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for all the responses.

@PF_Ref_D2U9A the issue happens at all times of day (a ~30-60sec drop every 3-5min), it is worse during peak hours however (quality drop during 85% of stream time). I have tried rebooting the modem and it has not fixed the issue.

Also, I have contacted Fizz support several times and none would provide troubleshooting beyond rebooting the modem…

@Emporium @Agima The Router capability of the modem is currently turned on however I do not use it. My Wi-Fi is generated by Google Wi-Fi router and pods. Although, my AppleTV is directly hooked up to one of the ports on the Fizz modem. The router was set in bridge mode a few months back, I was having the issue at that time as well. I had to do a reboot to troubleshoot at the time and didn’t put it back in Bridge mode in order to have easier access to my network data through the Fizz app. I will put it back in Bridge mode later today and let you know if it makes a difference now.

I’m not sure how to adjust Adaptive QOS, is it easy to do? I can look into the settings tonight.

Thanks for the link to fast.com, I just tried now and I hit 120mb. I will try again tonight.

Thanks for your help, I will do a couple of manipulations and check back in.

• Agima
    Agima Messages 81 ✭✭
    Options

@Lupe It depends on the router models, but it is usually quite simple. Often it's just an on/off switch to toggle.

• Lupe
    Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭
    Options

@Agima @Emporium I switched off the WMM (QOS) in the Fizz Modem and Router settings. And tried connecting my appleTV using the Fixz Wi-Fi instead of the Ethernet cable and it seems to have solved the drop in quality issue on Netflix which is great. However when I run a speed test my speed is around 20mbs as opposed to 120mbs. It seems sufficient to run the stream properly though.

The Wi-Fi I use in my home is usually the one that the Google Wi-Fi Router generates (hooked to the Fizz modem via Ethernet). If I use that network on my AppleTV, the Netflix stream will drop as usual.

Therefore, it seems like the issue is with the Ethernet ports somehow. Any insight as to what could cause it? I’m not a fan of using the Fizz Wi-Fi capability, but if it solves my issue, I can live with that.

Thanks.

• Lupe
    Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭
    Options

@Agima @Emporium thanks for Your responses again. So I put the modem in bridge mode this morning and it seems like none of my Ethernet ports are outputting an internet connection. Whether I connect my router or my AppleTV, no external device is getting a connection. Please see below a picture of my ports (the white cable is the google router).

With exception of the Ethernet port/cable (#4) that goes to my TV, non of the ports are indicating a green light. In the case of my tv, I do get internet, but it is super slow, barely loads a video on YouTube. I recall this had been an issue back when I had put it into bridge mode initially and support had not been able to help me. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

thank you

• Emporium
    Options

In Bridge mode, you effectively REMOVE all routing from the Fizz modem. Bridge mode is designed to hand over routing functions to another router (like your google router). So the only think the Fizz modem will do at that point, is provide the WANIP to the FIRST port connected to the modem. That's it. The rest of the ports will NO longer provide any communication. The modem becomes effectively JUST a modem, no routing.

So the Coax cable goes to the Fizz modem then Ethernet cable goes from a port on the Fizz modem to your router, and then everything communicates and plugs into with your router.

This effectively gives YOUR router the WAN IP, and therefore there is no double NEtwork translation from LAN/WAN twice. Your router does the NAT, and essentially communicates to the outside world. The Fizz modem becomes essentially just a dumb modem.

• Lupe
    Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭
    Options

@Agima @Emporium Actually, it seems like I have a connection coming out of my first Ethernet port (white cable in the picture of my previous post) but not from the other ports. The Google Wi-Fi router has only an incoming Wi-Fi port and 1 Ethernet output. I can connect that one port to the AppleTV which is great, however given I the other ports of the Fizz modem are not working, I can’t hook up other devices by cable such as PlayStation, computer etc. Is it normal to have only 1 port working on the fizz router when using bridge mode?

• Mohamed B. 52922
    Mohamed B. 52922 Messages 29 ✭✭
    Options

Bonjour,

ici nous sommes des usagés(es), si vous désirez communiquer avec un ou une intervenante du service à la clientèle afin de résoudre une situation, voici la marche à suivre afin de les contacter:

1- Connectez-vous à votre compte (voir en haut à droite) https://zone.fizz.ca/dce/customer-ui-prod/#/account/overview

2- Tout bloqueur de publicité de votre navigateur doit être désactivé. 

3- Vous devez être sur une fiche d'aide: https://fizz.ca/fr/faq/resoudre-un-enjeu

4- La bulle verte devrait apparaître en bas à droite de la page, cliquez et choisissez clavardage.

Il est également possible de les contacter via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca

• Lupe
    Lupe Messages 6 ✭✭
    Options

@Agima thank you for your answer! I followed the steps, everything works, the only issue was due to the fact that some ports were deactivated in BM. Now, in bridge mode i get the signal through that one port to my router and internet is at 120mbs. So a I bought an Ethernet Switch/splitter to get additional ports that I hooked to my router and now everything is connected properly. Thank you very much for all your help. All the best.

@Mohamed B. 52922 thanks for the pertinent response… as mentionned technical support has never been able to help after X amount of tickets opened.

• Agima
    Agima Messages 81 ✭✭
    Options

@Lupe

Glad that your figured it out!

An Ethernet Switch will indeed also help wiring your devices while having Fizz modem/router in Bridge Mode. This is also how my setup at home is.

Cette discussion a été fermée.