Absolute bare minimum plan for SMS receive only - for $5?

redbadger
redbadger Posts: 3
edited August 22 in Your Fizz Account
Clicking on "Mobile Plans" on the website takes you to a page with sliders and radio buttons where you can modify the plan and see the corresponding price.

If you push data down to 0GB, turn off Texts, Minutes, Voicemail and constrict the region to just British Columbia then the price is just $5 per month. It says you can still receive SMS texts in this setup, just not send them.

My use-case is for a secondary phone which will only ever be used for SMS verification for 2FA on websites which don't provide a stronger option (ie. authenticator app or physical security key).

My question is whether restricting to BC in this case means that I can only receive SMS texts from BC registered phone numbers? Pushing up to Canada takes it from $5 to $8 per month and including USA too takes it to $12 per month.

If it is possible to receive texts from anywhere in the world for $5 per month (but only that) then that would be an incredible deal.

Best Answer

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 7,928 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @redbadger

The incoming SMS are free everywhere in the world, therefore, with the 5$ you will be able to receive everywhere.

Moreover, remember to use a referral code, in this way you will get 40$ (if activate in August) at your second payment, even better deal :D

If you don't have a referral code, you can pick mine

Answers

• Wolframium42
    Wolframium42 Posts: 36 ✭✭

Hi,

The above comment is correct. That $5 plan seems perfect for your use case, since you'll be able to receive texts from anywhere, as stated, your only restriction is sending texts. Additionally, that line can still receive gifted data, either from another line you have, or other Fizz members, meaning you could even use it for more than just validation texts.

You can add it as a second line to your account, but setting it up on a separate account means you could use your own referral code for the line, netting you $80 total in referral bonuses (1 $40 bonus for your current account, and 1 for your new account, assuming you're on Fizz already). That would pay for your new line for over a year!

• redbadger
    redbadger Posts: 3
    Thanks so much, @elena code xzi4t. What a deal!

I will try to use your code when I receive the SIM.
This discussion has been closed.