Dual-sim with one only for data?

makeminemusic
makeminemusic Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited July 26 in My Mobile
Checking if this will work. I use a texting&voice plan from another carrier, with a number.
Can I buy a fizz SIM and use it for a data-only plan? Or will I need to have another number for it too?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• BradDoell
    BradDoell Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Good morning,

Mobile data is tied to a mobile phone number, so yes, you will get another phone number, but you won’t use it.

If you are using an iPhone, the instructions are here (Fizz uses physical sim so the other carrier must be eSIM)

Source:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/109317

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 837 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

you should be able to do this. The fizz sim will still come with a mobile number but you can configure your plan to only use the data option. keep in mind that fizz is a physical sim so your phone needs to have dual physical sim slot or the other provider needs to provide an esim. My suggestion is to check the other carriers as well to see if data only plans for tablet or data only esim might be cheaper than the fizz plan configured to only provide data.

• Wolframium42
    Wolframium42 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The above answers are correct. In your phones network settings, under each sim card you should be able to specify whether you want to use the sim for texting, calling, or data. Set the first one to be texting and calling only, and the second one to be data only. Depending on your phone the settings will look different, but should offer that functionality.

You may run into some difficulties with RCS though (rich messaging on android phones), as it's sent over data. You may need to go into the settings to manually set your phone number, or simply turn RCS off. If you're using an iphone that won't be an issue as imessage is linked to your appleID.
  • jvh_NVPF2
    jvh_NVPF2 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will have to get a new number for that plan as this is how the cell towers identify who you are and to track data usage.

A lot of users also use their SIM as a data only plan and you will have no issues setting it up.

Answers

• makeminemusic
    makeminemusic Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Perfect. Set it up today and data is working. MMS is not though... time to troubleshoot. But no big loss if it doesn't.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.