Still on Fizz EXT after 2 weeks

Options
drb227
drb227 Posts: 6
Hello,

I joined Fizz just over 3 weeks ago. I’m in Vaughan, Ontario and I’m still on Fizz EXT. I’ve tried the SIM in another phone and same issue. I thought this was supposed to go away after 72 hours?.

Answers

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 6,530 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @drb227

I read other member with the same issue, you should not worry if you are in the subscription zone https://fizz.ca/en/faq/subscription-area-and-coverage-area

Can you try to manually select Fizz network on your phone, wait 1 minutes and after set again the network select to automatic

AndroidSettings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks

iPhoneSettings → Operators

• BradDoell
    BradDoell Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Options

Good morning,

I am on my second month with Fizz, and it always displays Fizz EXT

Not to worry, if you are in the subscription zone when you received your sim, you are fine, as noted above.

When I turn off auto on my iPhone, here are my choices :-)

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 6,530 ✭✭
    Options

Did you take the screenshot while you were in the subscription area?

• kaitokun
    kaitokun Posts: 541 ✭✭
    Options

Check the available networks in your area from your phone settings. See if one of them is Fizz. If not, then don't worry about it. As long as you're in the subscription zone, should be OK.

• BradDoell
    Options

Indeed,

I took the screenshot, while in my home, which is in the subscription area. (Winnipeg)

• drb227
    drb227 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks all. I am definitely in the subscription area. In fact, there is a Freedom Mobile tower only a couple hundred feet from my house. I also use Freedom Mobile currently (No issues at all) and have been testing Fizz as a potential cheaper alternative for my kids.

Here’s my list of available networks. Anybody know what the 302 991 network is? When I select it, it just goes to No Sevice.
  • TK81
    TK81 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the same issue. Also in Ontario. I'm only seeing "Fizz EXT" but the person who referred me (only a member for about a week prior to me joining) is connecting via "Fizz Internet" for some reason, although only paying for the phone - and internet isn't even in my service area yet!

Could this issue have anything to do with the type of phone being used? Both mine and my referrers are certified VoLTE and set to VoLTE network connection.

Thanks!
  • BradDoell
    Options

Good morning,

302 991 is the mobile network code that the Halton Police Service uses for testing. Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_codes_in_ITU_region_3xx_%28North_America%29#C

I wouldn’t worry at all about being on an EXT network, or the names of the ones you are connecting to.

Despite being in a Fizz coverage zone, I and am always connected to EXT.

Cheers,

Brad

• BradDoell
    edited July 2
    Options

Good morning,

voLTE does not use the traditional phone network, per se, it uses the data on the cell phone network. Therefore it is quite possible that the network you are connecting to is a Fizz internet network.

It really just boils down to what name that node of the network has been given. They could name it “Fizz is the best” and provide which ever service they want :-) Think of it like naming your own wifi network on your home router. You can give it any name you want. The name does not define the service.

However, FizzEXT is no doubt used by Fizz as the default name when you are connected to a mobile provider that is not Fizz. But remember, Fizz is owned by Quebecor as is Freedom mobile, and in western Canada Quebecor bought Shaw mobile bandwidth. So, it could be that you are not on a Fizz named tower, but on one of Quebecor’s affiliates, which I can’t imagine is a problem.

For a more technical explanation, here is a snip from Wikipedia: (note: “circuit switched call path” is how a landline and non voLTE phone systems work)

“VoLTE is based on the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) architectural framework, with specific profiles for control and media planes of voice service. This facilitates VoLTE on the LTE wireless broadband service defined by GSMA in PRD IR.92.[3]The approach results in the voice service (control and media planes) being delivered as data flows within the LTE data bearer, with no dependency on (or ultimately, requirement for) the circuit-switched voice network to be in the call path.”

Cheers,

Brad

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options

This is normal currently. It took 2 weeks for me to change to Fizz from Fizz ext. Try restarting your phone every so often and it might make the switch.