Can I buy a phone and not use it with fizz

Options
T__M
T__M Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Phones
So I currently have a mobile plan and I’m using it with a phone I brought over from bell. I’m looking to buy my mother a phone for Christmas through the fizz promo .. does she have to use it through fizz or is my current plan enough

Best Answer

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,206 ✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @T__M

Yes the phones are unlocked.

However, if the phone as a rebate, you should keep your plan open or pay a part of the rebate if you leave before the terms.

Read the link to know all the detail

If you leave Fizz before the end of that period, we’ll for one be very sad to see you go. Two, you’ll have to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining on the initial term of this period. This amount will be invoiced using the payment method associated with your Fizz plan when you unsubscribe. The same billing method will be used if you had chosen to pay in monthly instalments with Affirm: no amount will be added to your agreement with Affirm.  

These fees are not penalty fees. The promotional rebate you enjoyed when you purchased the phone is simply divided by the number of months corresponding to the uninterrupted period that applies to you. You therefore only pay the portion of the rebate that corresponds to the leftover months during which you will no longer have an active Fizz mobile plan. 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-promotional-rebates-offered-some-phones-sold-fizz-work

Answers

• Losingisbadmkay
    Losingisbadmkay Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    Your current plan is enough as long as you keep running a line/data for the next 24 months. Otherwise they will charge you the portion of the discount left
  • T__M
    T__M Posts: 5
    Options
    Great, thank you so much!
  • Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

When purchasing a phone through a Fizz promotional offer, there are a few key points to consider:

1. Fizz Phone Offers: Typically, phone offers from mobile providers like Fizz are tied to their service plans. This means that the promotional pricing or the offer might be contingent upon activating a new line or a plan with Fizz.
    2. Using Your Current Plan: If you already have a Fizz mobile plan, you might be wondering if you can use the new phone with your existing plan. Generally, as long as the phone is compatible with Fizz’s network and is either unlocked or locked to Fizz, you should be able to use it with your current plan.
    3. For Your Mother’s Use: If you're buying the phone for your mother, whether she needs to have her own Fizz plan depends on the terms of the promo. If the promotion requires activating a new line, then she might need to have her own Fizz plan. However, if there's no such requirement, and the phone is unlocked or locked to Fizz, she can use it with any compatible service provider.
    4. Unlock Status: Ensure that the phone you're purchasing is either unlocked or can be easily unlocked for use with other carriers if that's your intention.
    5. Read the Terms: It's crucial to read the terms and conditions of the promotional offer carefully. This will give you a clear understanding of any obligations, like needing to activate a new line or maintain a service plan for a certain duration.
    6. Contact Fizz Support: For the most accurate and specific information, consider reaching out to Fizz's customer support. They can provide details on the current promotional offers and any requirements or restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.