Canada USA plan

Options
TC_S4
TC_S4 Posts: 8 ✭✭

I am planning to go on vacation in the US. I have Canada/US plan, can I make calls and use my data in the US, like usual?

Best Answer

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,206 ✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

HI @TC_S4

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

When will this issue be resolved?

All depends on your situation.

> If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 

Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 

> If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.

Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.

See the list of certified phones

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

Answers

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭
    Options

Theoretically yes, but there were several people reported that they were not able to do the phone calls while data was OK.

As a workaround they manually switched to 2G and have chosen T-Mobile to do the phone calls.

• TC_S4
    TC_S4 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

I have Iphone Xs and my sim card is VoLTE so I am good on the hardware side. When I am in the US I need to put on Roaming and connect to network ExtFizz?

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,206 ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

@TC_S4 you need to enable the roaming and to keep the network operator in automatic

did you activate your account after march 15th, 2022? If the answer if yes, you are good to go

if you have activated before the 16 march 2022, you should wait to have received the confirmation of the migration of your account to the VoLTE.

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,946 ✭✭
    Options

@TC_S4

Why do some calls and texts when in the U.S. not work?

Stay in touch without voice coverage.

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

1. All depends on your situation.
    3. > If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 
    5. Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 
    7. > If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.
    9. Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.
    10. See the list of certified phones
    11. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3
    Stay in touch without voice coverage.
    1. Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 
    2. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

• alm
    alm Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options

For sure you will have date. But the availability of phone calls and text messaging depends from one user to another, after reviewing comments on the forum. A plan B for phone calls, as Fongo mobile (free), may be a good option.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,610 ✭✭
    Options

Yes I agree too

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,521 ✭✭
    Options

You should search other posts on the forum on this subject... a lot of different experience so for what is worth YMMV!

• Derr
    Options

Good suggestion

• Derr
    Options

You’re welcome!