Is VOLTE working for calls/texts in USA if you have new SIM card

Options
Stephen G. #32755
Stephen G. #32755 Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited February 2023 in My Mobile

My partner and I have been waiting for the emails to order our new SIM cards forever (it seems). We had a USA trip in August and had no voice/text - what a pain! We have another USA trip planned for May but still no new SIM cards. Contacting FIZZ customer service didn't help us get our new SIM cards. Is anyone out there actually getting VOLTE service (voice/text) while in the States? Does it work as expected? I think we will have to really force the issue about getting the new SIM cards soon, prior to reactivating our Canada/USA plans, but I want to know if voice/text is really working using a FIZZ VOLTE sim in the States. While having data in the USA is great we need to have voice/text as well. Any information would be helpful. Phones are Samsung S10e and LG G6, both of which should work with VOLTE.

I really can't understand why FIZZ doesn't just activate VOLTE for everyone and ship out new SIM cards. They must know who has the new card and who doesn't. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Stephen G. #32755

You can order the sim with this link https://e.fizz.ca/mail/RLS?mid=-155567528&guid=681b0002023e9EQZaANVaqg&lid=58960305&s=1

however if you can make calls using VoLTE depends when you activate your plan https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

All depends on your situation.

> If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 

Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 

> If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.

Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.

You can try to configure the phone to use the 2G and you are suppose to be able to makes calls

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Jessy, thanks for your response. I appreciate your feedback.

The link you refer to only takes me back to the FIZZ discussion forum. There is not a way to order the SIM. That link may have been specific to your account?

I find it so strange that FIZZ is activating VOLTE for newer members (after March 16, 2022) while leaving their longer term customers (before March 16, 2022) out in the cold. FIZZ customer service can't seem to do anything to move people up to the new SIM even if there is a valid reason for needing the new SIM earlier (going to USA).

Based upon our August 2022 USA trip I know factually that calls/texts cannot be made in the US using our two phones. We are really hoping to actually have phone service for our upcoming May 2023 trip. I don't know how FIZZ defines "Spring" but I'm really hoping VOLTE is fully activated by then and that we are able to get the new required SIM cards so we get the service we need.

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Andrei, thank you very much for your response and the link. I used the link you provided and it appears that I was successfully able to order a new SIM card for both my partner and myself, using our individual accounts. I am hoping that we actually receive the SIM card orders within a reasonable time and then hopefully FIZZ fully activates VOLTE prior to our May trip. As the saying goes "Hope springs eternal". We really found not having phone/text service during our August trip to be quite annoying and somewhat difficult. Having data is one thing and we were happy to have it but not being able to make (or receive) calls or texts was another. With most of today's banking services using 2-step authentication having text is crucial if you need to access your bank.

Again, Andrei, thank you for your response. It is appreciated.

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭
    Options

As a workaround you can always change your phone to 2G network and manually choose T-Mobile to have calls and texts.

This discussion has been closed.