travel to the usa

Options
eric N. #39105
eric N. #39105 Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in My Mobile

Hi everyone, i will soon be travelling to the usa, do i need seperate add ons for each data, texts and calls or is there a package for travelling to the us

thanks.

Best Answer

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

@eric N. #39105

The information PF_Ref_D2U9A gave is relevant.

Briefly, I can add:

- data will work

- calls and texts may or may not work, in some areas calls will work, in others not (Fizz says it won't work)

- for calls, you have to choose T-Mobile carrier and make sure you give access to 2G (GSM) and 3G (WCDMA) as well as 4G LTE. Several users have confirmed ability to make and receive calls in North Eastern USA. Others have confirmed difficulties.

- VERY IMPORTANT: JUST IN CASE...make sure you can rely on social media apps for communicating with people (Messenger, FaceTime, Google Duo, Textnow, WhatsApp, eMail apps...). Also SKYPE lets you call land phones (3.1 cents per minute). Please note that receiving calls on apps other than social media apps will be an issue.

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,757 ✭✭
    Options

Hi

There are two methods for using your phone in the United States.

1. Change your plan to include US coverage. Note that you must change your plan and the change will take effect on your renewal date - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-change-my-mobile-plan

2. Purchase a travel add-on. The data will be immediately available. More information on this option here - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

There are separate add-ons for each service (data, texts,...).

Know that officially at the moment, Fizz does not support calls or texts when you are in the United States.

Please be advised. As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States. You will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. 

Data coverage will not be affected. 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

For USA, the 3G component has been removed, so you will not be able to make/receive calls or send/receive SMS, but you can try switching your phone to 2G network mode as these calls work in some areas of the USA.

Some customers have reported that calls/texts are still functional while they are in the US. So it does appear to be working in some areas like where 2G or 3G network remain available.

As for coverage, the mobile data continues to work in the United States.

• ah727
    Options

@eric N. #39105

Agree with PF_Ref_D2U9A's informations. Just make sure that if you go for the Canada + USA plan, you must subscribe at least 108 hours (let's say 5 days) before your current billing period ends, in order for the plan to be effective in the next billing cycle.

• eric N. #39105
    eric N. #39105 Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Options

Guys, I read your answers and all the lte 3g 2g stuff is very confusing, if I take the us calls and data add ons will my phone work in the united states?

• ah727
    Options

@eric N. #39105

Also another issue in the USA: you may not be able to access your phone voicemail. I haven't tried it, but if you can't connect to the calling network, you won't get to your voicemail box.

I've also tried SKYPE: SKYPE will give you access to your voicemail box (SKYPE will use 4G LTE networks) BUT there's a problem with the dial tone, and I was unable to enter my PIN.

• ah727
    Options

@eric N. #39105

EDIT : You can get access to your voicemail box using SKYPE. You just have to make sure that your dialpad sound is activated, because you need dialpad sound to enter your PIN and access your options.

This discussion has been closed.