Received an email from Fizz stating that I need to change my SIM card is this legit?

Stephane S. #40314
Stephane S. #40314 Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

I logged in Fizz but can't find anything on that subject.

Here's the email:

Your SIM card must be changed.

Our network is evolving. The 3G network currently used for your calls is set to disappear. With the new VoLTE technology, your calls will use our LTE network. But first, you must change your SIM card.

Best Answer

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Stephane S. #40314

Our current 3G network relies on older technology and will start to disappear to make room for more advanced networks. As a result, mobile services associated with 3G SIM cards will eventually no longer work.

We’ve been preparing our evolved network for a while to make sure we can continue offering quality mobile services. We are working hard to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for our members.

What is VoLTE

VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE network, which basically means a phone call will use the LTE network.  

But what’s LTE you ask?  

Great question. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. It’s basically an evolution of the norms for mobile services.  

The advantages of VoLTE

Using a VoLTE compatible SIM card with your Fizz mobile plan means you'll be ahead of the game and ready for VoLTE when it becomes available on Fizz's network.  

You’re already using our ultrafast and vast LTE network when you use data with your mobile plan. The opportunity to use the LTE network for your calls means:   

• Improved sound quality for your calls.   
    • Faster routing of your calls, meaning the delay for the phone to ring at the other end will be shorter. 
    Your VoLTE compatible SIM card

Your SIM card connects your phone to the Fizz network now 3G and going to LTE. A VoLTE compatible SIM card is therefore required to stay ahead of the game. This SIM card shows a red lightning bolt icon. 

Good to know: 

• Any member who orders a SIM card today is ok. Their SIM card is already compatible with VoLTE. 
    • Same applies for a Fizz SIM card that was ordered after the month of September 2021. 

For the other mobile members who currently have a 3G SIM card, Fizz will make sure that each of them gets a FREE VoLTE compatible SIM card. 

> Each of these members will receive an invitation to order their free SIM card. This process will take place over several weeks, so don’t worry if you’re not part of the first batch. 

> Once ordered, your new SIM card will arrive by regular mail within two weeks, along with the instructions to associate it with your Fizz mobile plan. Changing your SIM card for a VoLTE compatible one will not impact your plan or phone number. 

How to make a SIM card change 

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

Answers

• Tarun D.
    Tarun D. Posts: 1 ✭✭

I received the same email message.Sounds like spam to me.Watch out .Hackers want to steal your sim.Fizz Support people should comment on this asap.

• Stephane S. #40314
    Stephane S. #40314 Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for the answer. Just ordered my new SIM using the email and all is fine.

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭

@Stephane S. #40314

You're welcome! : )

• Fizzaddict
    Fizzaddict Posts: 240 ✭✭

that is legit

• angelarudd
    angelarudd Posts: 1 ✭✭

I got an email too that a SIM card was waiting for me, but when I sign into my account, it says that I'm not eligible. What should I do?

This discussion has been closed.