Can I be "Roamin"? It's Greek to me...

Shalom
Shalom Posts: 4 ✭✭

I live in the heart of Montreal. My phone always says "FIZZ Ext, which I THINK means that I'm not really on the Fizz network. Is that a problem? Can I live like this forever?

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 6,444 ✭✭

Hi

You cannot be roaming on FIZZ Ext long term because Fizz says "The majority of your usage (calls, texts and data) must be done on the Fizz network (Subscription area)." https://fizz.ca/en/faq/partner-networks

What phone are you using? You can turn off the roaming option from your phone settings.

The Fizz network should be working well in the heart of Montreal.

• Shalom

Thanks for taking the time to reach out.

It's a Blackberry 9330. Yeah, as in 3G. No 4G LTE.

It appears that I'm not getting any 3G signal; I am getting a 2G signal, but I'm wondering if perhaps there isn't a 2G signal to be had on Fizz, so my phone may have to roam...just guessing.

So, as I said, I am really in a prime service area, but I'm roamin'...will Fizz penalize me?

• Shalom

Oops. I meant 9930.

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 6,444 ✭✭

That phone is 10+ years old. There is no more 2G signal in Canada. If your Blackberry 3G phone cannot use Fizz network, then you will have to upgrade to a compatible phone (https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices) or switch to another mobile provider that is compatible with your phone.

You cannot use FIZZ Ext for more than 3 consecutive months. Fizz will interrupt or block access to FIZZ Ext. Read this FAQ help for details - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/partner-networks

• Shalom

My phone says it's using 2G. And the only network it can find is "Fizz Ext 2G".

The link you sent says that "We reserve the right to interrupt or block access to our network of partner providers Fizz EXT if you use your mobile service primarily on their networks for 3 consecutive payment cycles."

Fizz "reserves the right"; but if it's not my fault, and I'm in an urban area but I'm not getting any other signal, will they actually penalize me?

Thank you.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    edited April 2022

From what I know, they will block the service after 3 consecutive months of roaming. Pretty sure it was enforced for some snow birds that go south for the winter.

You can't say it is NOT your fault. Every provider clearly outlines the compatibility requirements for using their network. And yours is surely not considered compatible (with many of todays networks). They allow you to bring your own device, but It is your responsibility to ensure you use a phone that is compatible with their network.

They only support 3G/HSPA/LTE compatible phones. Frequency requirements are listed here.

Your phone is a hybrid CDMA/GSM phone. These are the bands supported by your phone.

CDMA was pretty much discontinued in Canada I think back in 2016. So essentially you only have a 2G phone according to the specs (since everything is GSM nowadays). From the Fizz compatibility requirements, they only support 3G and 4G (no 2G, and no 5G yet either). This is why your phone is picking up ONLY 2G signal from a partner carrier, since that is ALL your phone can recognize.

Even the service you get know, won't last much longer. Rogers (who I think was the last one to offer 2G service in Canada) started shutting down their 2G stuff, in June 2021, and were supposed to have completed in 2021-12-31. Probably due to pandemic, the schedule was slightly shifter to the right, but it is a lost cause, it can be shut down at any time without notice. You should consider a new phone.

I know people are addicted to their crackberry devices, but at one point, you need to let go. The lemon is dry.