Thinking of signing up but have some questions

Options
nils11
nils11 Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Internet

Hello.

I hope you are well.

My questions are as follows,

Is Fizz fiber? Am I guaranteed the 200mbps speeds?

We would like 2 phone sims. What are the roaming rates like? Note we would be visiting europe.

Is there a cancellation fee?

Also are there any bundling deals?

Best Answer

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please keep in mind that when people refer to roaming it is not necessarily what you'd expect from postpaid services. Fizz is a prepaid service and although they offer roaming, it is limited by comparison.

As mentioned, roaming (in Europe in your case) is only available in some countries (check list and prices here: https://fizz.ca/en/travel ). BUT, it does NOT include calls. Calls are ONLY available within Canada and USA. Outside of Canada/USA, if a country is supported by Fizz, it would be ONLY for data AND/OR texting.

When travelling, your best options are to pickup a local SIM card in Europe (one that would support multiple countries within Europe) and use that instead.

This is what they offer for Europe (Blocks of data you can buy in advance. SMS/text messages are only on a pay as you go basis at $0.10/text):

For FIZZ the addon for the "Europe Zone" includes the following countries: GERMANY, AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA, GIBRALTAR, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, ESTONIA, FAROE ISLANDS, FINLAND, FRANCE, GREENLAND, CROATIA, NETHERLANDS, IRELAND, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, ITALY, ICELAND, LATVIA, LIECHTENSTEIN, LITHUANIA, LUXEMBOURG, HUNGARY, MALTA, MONACO, NORWAY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA, UKRAINE, GREECE, JERSEY, SERBIA, UNITED KINGDOM, GUERNSEY, SAINT PIERRE ET MIQUELON, VATICAN CITY STATE, ANDORRA, ALBANIA, ABKHAZIA

-------

For Internet, they use Coax cable (like videotron), not fiber. But the speeds I get are always what I have paid for. I have the 120M/20M plan and I always get close to or above that speed. Below is a speedtest I just did. Keep in mind that all my devices are wired and I use my own router equipment and WiFi access points. The modem that Fizz provides, I have converted to "Bridge" mode (ie: into a pure modem), so I do not use the WiFi or routing functions of that unit. Unless you are in a small apartment, the WiFi provided by this modem is NOT the strongest, so if you rely on the WiFi of the modem they provide, you may not get the full speeds, even though the connection may be able to pump out more speed.

Answers

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi, good that you consider joining Fizz.

I always get my speed (120mbps) so I do not think it will be any different from the 200 mbps plan. Fizz is he subsidiary of Vidéotron, so you get their reliable network. Having said that, both the 120 and 200 mbps plan are subject to data management policy. In theory that means that if there is lots of network activity, Fizz could throttle your speed. However, in all my years with Fizz it never happened to me and I live in the city. A personal tip: If possible, use your own router. The Fizz provided routers are notorious for sometimes causing issues.

Roaming rates in Europe are great. You can find the details here: https://fizz.ca/en/travel

For example 1GB of Data for the whole Eurozone is $5. Fizz has far the best prices in this regard.

US isa bit more pricy but you can change your plan to a Canada + US plan and then everything is included at a competitive price.

The great thing about Fizz is that there are no contracts. You can change or cancel your plan any time. Many user change their plans frequently as Fizz constantly adjusts their prices and comes out with new offers.

Hope this helps. Should you have more question, fell free to PM me :)

• Clive_ref_code_73TF9
    Options

Hello @nils11, I think @StefanM covered your questions but I also add:

• Fizz offers only prepaid services so easy to cancel but does require 72 hours notice prior to your next payment period
    • Being a prepaid service, there are no refunds for unused portions of your plan or add-ons.
    • Fizz does not offer roaming like post-paid services and does not cover every country. To use your Fizz number while outside your regular coverage area requires an add-on
    • Fizz Mobile does not offer WIFI calling or texting so without an add-on, your Fizz number won't work when traveling outside your regular coverage area
    • Fizz Mobile is reasonably price competitive with mid-tier data plans such as 10-12GB/mo. Fizz is NOT price competitive with 1-3GB/mo.
    • Being prepaid, Fizz doesn't have any positive or negative affect on your credit history
    • Fizz Internet is only in QC and Fizz Mobile is only in QC and the Ottawa area so if you move outside these areas, you have to switch providers
    • Fizz has a rewards program though the best benefits require lots of points which require extensive time spent on this Forum, many such users appear to spend hours every day here

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options
    • "Fizz has a rewards program though the best benefits require lots of points which require extensive time spent on this Forum, many such users appear to spend hours every day here"

True words spoken :D

• Greg
    Greg Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz offers good and reliable service

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭
    Options

A lot of valuable input! I never thought about credit history.

"Being a prepaid service, there are no refunds for unused portions of your plan or add-ons"

Correct for mobile plans but the story gets better with Residential Internet:

If you cancel your Home Internet services agreement during a payment cycle, you will receive a prorated refund based on the remaining days for the monthly fee paid at the beginning of your payment cycle.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-unsubscribe-from-fizz-home-internet

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭
    Options

Is fiber Vs coaxial still a thing? It may have been partially true a while ago, but now?

I mean in theory yes fiber goes faster but there are so many portions that are not fiber (like servers and radio waves). On the other hand, most of the internet is fiber anyway, while for some only the "last mile" is coaxial.

And people I know that rely on coaxial never really complain about speed as they get what they bought, usually. I mean coaxial is still fast.

To me it sounds like an empty sales pitch more than anything for an average user.

Any expert on that matter here? (obviously I'm not)

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Options

From a user perspective, the biggest difference between FTTH network and coaxial is the upload bandwidth. It’s easier for the provider to manage high upload speed on FTTH than it is on coax.

FTTH also have lower latency ( light travels faster than electrons), but it’s not a concern for most users

This discussion has been closed.