Home WiFi keeps cutting off for over a month

FC
FC Posts: 117 ✭✭

My Home Internet keeps cutting off almost every 5 minutes, even sometimes 2-3 minutes. I checked all the solution here: reset, reboot, use new router etc. But it keeps cutting. I chatted with the team, but not helpful - asked me to do the same thing. After reboot, the internet came back; but it cut again later. I almost have no patience - it already over one month now. It never happen before with other suppliers.

Fizz, can you put more effort to make the system more reliable and stable? There are many people left, Fizz. I think most of them left is because of the service stability. I do not leave yet is because I am with Fizz since it starts - I love Fizz. But we need stable Internet.

Answers

• FC
    edited December 2021

One agent told me today that my plan (120) only allow to hook up max 5 devices. Is it right? I can not find the link. Is it the reason why my internet keeps cutting?

I have around 20 devices because I have iPhones, iPads, iMacs, Desktops, and few Camera - for a big family. How to make it works with 5 devices limit?

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭

5 devices ? Ya right... I have 120 service and have well over 40 devices (a few NAS servers, 4PC, 3 or 4 laptops, and few tablets, phones, IoT devices (including my washing machine), and a few security cameras. No issues.

BUT, I am not using the Fizz modem/router as a router. The CODA-4680 Fizz unit is in BRIDGE mode (being used as a pure modem only) and I am using my own router/Wifi equipment.

When you say the internet goes out ever couple of minutes, are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet Wire ?

When the system goes out, what is the status of your second and 3rd light from the top (on the modem). Are they still solid blue, or do they switch back to green and start flashing again ?

If the 2nd and 3rd light switch to green and start flashing again, the modem is losing Sync. Customer service SHOULD run a check on the line signal and modem. Problem is either the modem itself, or the line coming into the home.

If they remain Blue, then I would ensure to connect via ethernet cable and see if it still happens. If the issue does not happen with Ethernet cable, then it could still be the WiFi radios on the modem (if you are using that for WiFi - and not your own router).

I would tell you to contact customer service, but it seems you already have.

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭

Hello @FC

I agree with Emporium. That agent simply did not express things correctly enough. 5 device limit for 120Mbps is simply not true even per Fizz documentation (agent probably meant 5 people):

Source: link Help me choose in the Internet Plan page.

The number of devices per plan is only a guideline, and a bad one IMHO. It's for average tech-illiterate users with average needs. You could saturate your line with 3 devices with very heavy downloads while you could have 100 smart light bulbs operating correctly. It's the concurrent usage that matters the most.

You said you tried everything, even having your own router. I presume you then tried everything in the FAQ My Wi-Fi network is cutting out (if not, please do). They usually fix a large majority of the problems, the rest is mostly fixed with having your own router ...which you did.

If, as specified in one of the tests, you tried having only one Ethernet cable from Fizz router to one device and check performance regularly without cuts then you could assume it's the wifi coverage. You can also check with a wifi testing app and see if your signal is well received where your devices sit.

If it's the wifi coverage that is the issue, try going with a PLC device or a mesh network. I find it's the preferred way over changing internet supplier or cabling things up with Ethernet cables.

"PLC" for "Powerline Carrier"

Basically the electrical circuit of your home is then used as "internet wiring".

It is generally cheaper than a mesh network or an additional router transformed into an access point. Look for "PLC Ethernet" or "Powerline Networking Extender" in any good electronics store, it should have an Ethernet port.

1. First you connect an Ethernet cable from the router to the first power-line socket connected to the wall
    2. Then the second device in the electric socket to the distant room where there will also be an Ethernet cable (or alternatively a Wi-Fi signal) from the socket to the device/computer/cell/whatnot . There will be a loss of bandwidth depending on the quality of the electrical circuit, but what is left remains faster than what Fizz can provide.

So no Ethernet cable inside walls, just one from router to device #1 if you want to optimize bandwidth and also reduce Wi-Fi exposure (if it matters to you). And maybe device #2 to computer or tv-setup.

Mesh network

That's another potential solution. You'd have to put Fizz device in bridge mode which is usually recommended for large areas or if you want WIFI-6. Definitely more expensive but might be a stronger signal (but not necessarily faster since to go through floors you'll probably have to resort to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi).

• FC

Thank you Emporium and Philemon24 for your input. I did all the steps following the instruction of "My Wi-Fi network is cutting out. How do I fix it?". As I mentioned, yes, the internet comes back and speed of 50mbps (2.4hz), which is fine. However, it cuts off later again (the cutting normally last around few seconds to one minutes). I used my own router (Asus RT-AX58U). I bought this router about 18 months ago for over $200. The reason why I bought this router is the same issue like now: the internet not stable and cuts, and I saw answers on this forum that it will be helpful to use own router. Since I installed this new router, everything was perfect. But now the same problem comes back again about one month ago. I did not make any changes for the router setting, and did not add any new device before the issue came. When the internet cuts, the 2nd and 3rd light on the modem stays solid blue, and the 5th light keeps flashing; but I can not open any website even I move my iPad/iPhone close to the router. We do not play video games at all now. But the alarm system keeps alert me the cutting.

P.S.: I found that it seems when randomly some devices hook up, then some devices will drop off. It makes me thinking it may be real that there is devices limit for Fizz internet.

Anyway, I will try to figure out. If the problem is still there, I have to think about moving somewhere.

Thank you all for your input.

• FC

I googled the solution. It seems very common for Asus router (at least for my model) to keep disconnecting from internet.

• Philemon24
    Philemon24 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭

Wow, quite annoying.

Maybe Asus has a firmware upgrade ready? If not, maybe try claim the warranty?

• Emporium

Since you say that when the internet cuts, the 2nd and 3rd light on the modem stays solid blue, it means it is NOT an issue with Fizz internet connection itself.

However one thing I am trying to understand.. How is your connection ? Do you use the Asus router ? What provides your WiFi signal (Asus router or Fizz router, or Both ?).

If you are using your Asus router (which is miles better than the Fizz router), you should not be using the Fizz modem/router as a router. The CODA-4680 Fizz unit should be switched in BRIDGE mode (being used as a pure modem only - disabling it's router and Wifi functions). You can follow this article: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-use-my-own-wi-fi-router-fizz. Keep in mind, once you do that, the modem becomes a "dumb" modem and there are no other settings on it to configure, therefore there is no longer any interface to connect to (if you ever want to go back, you will need to "reset" the modem. If you don't disable those features you run the risk of running Double NAT, with Double DHCP servers, and all sorts of chaotic causing configurations.

I would have a hard time believing that an ASUS router is the source of the problem. They are some of the most reliable consumer grade routers. The latest firmware release for your router is Version 3.0.0.4.386.45898 (Released on 2021/10/07 ). You can check your router on the top right when you log in, to see what version firmware you are running. Asus is pretty good at release firmware updates every few months to address issues.

If you prefer a firmware with a little more functionality, there is also the ASUS Merlin firmware which is based on the standard ASUSwrt firmware and with a few extra features. And they do seem to support your Model.

Critical devices, like your alarm system, should be wired into the router if possible.

This is how things should be connected:

• FC
    edited December 2021

Hi again,

Yes, I use Fizz as modem via bridge and use Asus router only. Anyway, it kept cutting. On Asus official website, there is a discussion about the cutting (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030641/). I upgraded the firmware, relocated the router, disabled smart connect etc, but all not help. Then, today, I restored the default settings as the suggestion for the last try. Until now, there is no more cuts. We will wait and see later.

Thank you again.

• Emporium
    edited December 2021

@FC

Don't hesitate to try the Merlin firmware I mentioned above.

All the time I had ASUS routers, the Merlin firmware served me well. My last ASUS router (RT-AC3200) which I had, worked flawlessly until I recently replaced it with an OPNsense firewall appliance (mini PC), and a few Cisco 2802i WiFi access points.

And the best part about the merlin firmware, is that flashing it is as simple as using the web interface. And IF for whatever reason you want to go back to stock ASUS firmware, there are no hoops to jump through, you can do it directly from the web interface, just like any stock firmware update.

But then again, if the issue is down deep in the kernel and related to the WiFi drivers of the asus router, odds are Merlin firmware will suffer the same issues, since it is just a fork of the official asus firmware.

If the problem persists, you can always pick up a Netgear or TPLink router from somewhere like Costco to try it out and see if it is any better. That way, you will not have any issue returning it, if for some reason it does not help.

It is really disappointing, since ASUS typically makes pretty solid routers.

Another option is to just get an external access point, like these TPLINK ones, which are pretty reliable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NMZR3F1 or https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08TRPMC69 (if you need AX). They are cheap, reliable and won't break the bank.

Good luck.

• Hello, the recommendation for a maximum number of devices is a guide, not a rule, as it all depends on the total bandwidth in use, i.e. if you have 20 devices connected using only email then this is a very low bandwidth load. Emporium's suggestion about it likely being the cable to- or inside your home gets my vote as being the issue.

• Yann D. #22965
    Yann D. #22965 Posts: 217 ✭✭

So @FC how are thing going on since you restored the default settings ?

• FC

Until now, I did not see any cut or I should say that I did not notice the cut. It seems issues from the router. Let's watch for days.

• FC
    edited December 2021

@Emporium

Thanks for your suggestion. I think an external access point will not help. When the cuts happen, the external access point won't have internet as well. In my house, signal from the Asus router is very strong - there are 4-5 bars even at upstairs. So the issue is not signal; it is the router cut itself. Actually, I do have a external access point, and I attached some devices to it. All those devices can not access internet when the cut happen.

It seems okay now. Thanks anyway. Happy Holidays!

• Chèvre_69
    Chèvre_69 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Did you try working the shaft ?

• MarcVivian
    MarcVivian Posts: 120 ✭✭

Thank you!