Fizz internet: HTTP download is being throttled

Julien C. 10331
Julien C. 10331 Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Internet

Hello! Something interesting that I discovered, Fizz seems to be limiting the bandwith of their fizz customers. Over HTTP.

I think most people noticed that, very often, when they are downloading a game from their favorite store, the download speed is way slower than it sjould be. Me personnaly, I am paying for 60mbps but I am roughtly getting 20mbps.

Bare with me as it is getting interesting, here is what I discovered: when I connect my VPN, the speed of my download suddendly goes from 20mbps to 60mbps, as it should. This happen on any game store, steam, epic, xbox, etc

Also, when I am downloading a large file over FTP, the speed is never throttled and I am always getting my 60mbps.

As a conclusion, it seems that Fizz is doing some heavy throttling on its HTTP traffic. Not being able to use the bandwith you are paying for when you need it the most is outrageous.

As a workaround, use a VPN if you can when you are downloading large files over HTTP. As long as your VPN is fast enough of course..

Answers