Is the Fizz Router MoCA compatible?

Fountain42
Fountain42 Posts: 15 ✭✭

I would like to extend my network to the other side of my house, however I want to avoid running wires and instead use my already installed coaxial cable network.

Does anyone know if the Fizz Router is MoCA network capable?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Fountain42

I do not think Fizz' modem (CODA-4680) is MoCA compatible:

Source: https://us.hitrontech.com/products/service-providers/coda-4680-cable-modem-router/

On top of that, the documentation which is generic to CODA-4x8x shows the following interface:

But Fizz users have shown their own interface snapshot (I use bridge so not available to me at the moment) and that option is missing:

What is MoCA

For those curious about what MoCA is : https://us.hitrontech.com/learn/learn-consumers/moca/what-is-moca-on-my-router-why-do-i-want-it/ It basically requires and uses coax cables running your walls.

Consider yourself lucky if you really have that 🤩

Alternatives

Those who do not have such existing coax network might want to consider an alternative : "PLC" for "Powerline Carrier". The electrical circuit of your home is then used as "internet wiring".

It is generally cheaper than a mesh network or an additional router transformed into an access point. Look for "PLC Ethernet" or "Powerline Networking Extender" in any good electronics store, it should have an Ethernet port.

1. First you connect an ethernet cable from the router to the first powerline socket connected to the wall
    2. Then the second device in the electric socket to the distant room where there will also be an ethernet cable (or alternatively a Wi-Fi signal) from the socket to the device/computer/cell/whatnot . There will be a loss of bandwidth depending on the quality of the electrical circuit, but what is left is faster than what Fizz can provide.
    3. So no ethernet cable inside walls, just one from router to device #1 if you want to optimize bandwidth and also reduce Wi-Fi exposure (if it matters to you). And maybe device #2 to computer or tv-setup.

Another solution is the mesh network. You'd have to put Fizz device in bridge mode which is usually recommended for large areas or if you want WIFI-6. Definitely more expensive but might be a stronger signal (but not necessarily faster since to go through floors you'll probably have to resort to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi).

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

The Quick Start Guide ("4X8X_QIG_Ver.2A" , "CODA D3.1 Wi-Fi Gateway(MoCA Optional)" ) also shows that MoCA does not cover CODA-4680:

Answers