What can be done about scam calls pretending to be the government?

ygravel001
ygravel001 Posts: 25 ✭✭

I got 9 calls today so far, all using different numbers. Who can I alert about this?

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    edited August 2021

@ygravel001

Unfortunately, all you can do is put those numbers on your blacklist... I and some others got this problem since a moment, and it's not about Fizz, friends who got others companies providers have the same issues.😕

• ygravel001

It's technically not really those numbers calling me since someone once called me saying that I call them (which was not true). These parasites of nature are obviously spoofing legit numbers knowing that we'll ignore calls from India.

• M_J
    M_J Posts: 27 ✭✭

Nobody knows my phone number, so I don't get those types of calls. I think they get the numbers from a list or something, so be careful who you give your number to.

• ygravel001

I had my cellphone number over 15 years, pretty sure it's been around the block by now even if don't often give it to others.

• M_J

Totally understand. It's the spammers that are at fault, of course, but for some reason, even with all the technology that exists, nobody can do anything about them.

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,641 ✭✭

This problem must be solved by the crtc, with some regulation blocking the call spoofing

• Isabelle_33424
    Isabelle_33424 Posts: 187 ✭✭
    edited August 2021

@ygravel001 If the calls you have received were all local numbers this is called neighbor spoofing, meaning your number is used to trick other people into thinking somebody local, possibly even someone they know, is calling them.

If the problem gets out of hands there are not many options other than change your number altough here someone who was a victim.. she took the following steps and stopped the spoofing:

1. Change Your Voicemail : Let your unknown calls go to voicemail. Explain in a simple message what is happening to you and suggest that if the caller is receiving telemarketing calls from your number that they block you. This will keep the telemarketing company from calling that user back and begin to make your number less desirable.
    2. Use an App to Block Unknown Numbers : Using an app to block incoming calls from anyone not in your contact list. If the app doesn't recognize the number it will send it straight to your voicemail where they will hear the message.
    3. Wait It Out : This will not work overnight but it will, in the long run make your number less desirable for spoofing. If the telemarketer is continuously blocked while using your number, they'll move on to some other poor soul.

You can read the whole story here: https://turbofuture.com/cell-phones/Telemarketers-Are-Using-My-Number-How-I-Stopped-Them

• M_J

Isn't getting spoofed calls different from someone spoofing your number?

Can you conclude that someone is spoofing your number just because you are getting spoofed calls yourself?

• Isabelle_33424
    Isabelle_33424 Posts: 187 ✭✭

@M_J I tought the OP had received a call today from someone saying that HE called them, in which case would be a sign that the number is spoofed.. but he was referring to another time. Sorry if I got you confused :)

• telmorrr
    telmorrr Posts: 89 ✭✭

Thanks for the information!

• Emeric-Valentine
    Emeric-Valentine Posts: 171 ✭✭

I use the blocker included in Android when I received a sp/cam call (no clue if iOS have this)

Some provider competitors have a blocker from their side, Fizz not yet

• Gillesr1
    Gillesr1 Posts: 62 ✭✭

I use the app "Call Protect" ... it does not prevent from all numbers but at least a part

• Kevin P. #2908
    Kevin P. #2908 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Block those number on your cell phone directly. It's the only solution.

• telmorrr
    telmorrr Posts: 89 ✭✭

nice! good stuff in here

• Yourboi
    Yourboi Posts: 188 ✭✭

I’m not sure you can do anything.

• Yourboi
    Yourboi Posts: 188 ✭✭

Have a nice day.

This discussion has been closed.