What's the difference between 10 mbps and 20 mbps?

claudine101
claudine101 Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Internet

Hi! My boyfriend and I are experiencing some problems (lagging, etc.) when we're both on Zoom calls. We currrently have 10 mbps upload speed. I was wondering if the 20 mbps would make a difference. We are only two internet users in our home. Thanks :)

Best Answer

• KerberosMorphy
    KerberosMorphy Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Should be an issues, there some possible issues:

• Your Wi-Fi signal is too weak.
    • The Wi-Fi card of your computer is old and doesn't allow as much speed as your router allowed.
    • Other programs on your computer is running and slow don't everything.

The best way to setup a home office is to use an Ethernet cable directly to your router.

You can also try to reduce your video Quality to reduce your upload bandwidth.

We are 2 at my house doing video call with 10 Mbps and I have a 4K webcam without lag (I use ethernet cable and my girlfriend Wi-Fi)

Answers

• M T. #12340
    M T. #12340 Posts: 577 ✭✭

Test with your ethernet cable to see if there is any difference.

Regarding your wifi : change your wireless channel and test again ( you might have to try several different channel )

• Simon F. 62914
    Simon F. 62914 Posts: 39 ✭✭

Yes, making the switch would help. On a budget, 20mbps is good for medium use. If you are both streaming videos at the same time though, I would suggest at least 30mbps. I personally use 90mbps, we are a family of 5 though;)

• KerberosMorphy
    KerberosMorphy Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Are you talking about upload or download? claudine101 said « We currrently have 10 mbps upload speed. » 30 Mbps for upload is a lot for most people. If you talk about download speed, 30 Mbps is the bare minimum for 2 personne in my opinion.

• Simon F. 62914
    Simon F. 62914 Posts: 39 ✭✭

In my case, I was talking about both. Of course download is more useful to stream and download things. For zoom calls, I still think the upgrade would be worth it, 10mbps is low, even considering zoom calls only use about 1.4mpbs (upload&download, at 1080p).

This discussion has been closed.