Vidéotron issues and Fizz

Options
Pascal L. 40582
Pascal L. 40582 Posts: 649 ✭✭

This afternoon, Vidéotron has had various issues with their infrastructure affecting many if their services. Since Fizz relies heavily on Vidéotrons services, I wonder if Fizz' issues (portal, account access, SIM activations, porting number requests, etc) seen today on this forum would be due to that?

Best Answer

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've had problems a couple of times (loss of connectivity upstream for a few minutes at a time).

If I check Fizz network status via another route, it always says that everything is just fine.

It would be nice if the network status message was a little more accurate.

In the past, when Videotron DNS services went offline and broke the Internet for a lot of people, I didn't notice because I had set my DNS manually to use servers managed by CIRA (Canadian Internet Registration Authority).

It has the added bonus of filtering out and refusing to resolve malware sites as they are discovered.

Highly recommended:

https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield

Answers

• Pascal L. 40582
    Pascal L. 40582 Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Options

@Jacques_Assert I did not know of the CIRA, good to know. I use Google's DNS for reliability and completeness. Sometimes, one likes to have access to some shady server names :-) and best of all, does not rely on Fizz /Vidéotrons DNS.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

I prefer CIRA to Google simply because it's private.

CIRA offers three levels of DNS: Private, Protected, and Family.

You might consider Private as an alternative to Google.

Note that I've never had a DNS search fail. You'd really need to be visiting hijacked sites intentionally to notice a difference.

This discussion has been closed.