LAN subnet change impossible?

Options
Adrian A. #25758
Adrian A. #25758 Posts: 32 ✭✭

Last night my modem stopped working (I suspect a new firmware was uploaded, I’ll explain in a minute why I a saying that).

This morning I’ve talked to a support agent about not being able to use the Internet and after a modem reset the service was back.

Nice, I thought in my mind... but no🙁

Since the modem was reset the subnet was also changed for the default 192.168.0.0/24 but I configured everything with another subnet 172.16.16.0/24 so I thought well, let’s change it... but no, as soon as I do the change the modem stops working, I mean no DHCP service no internet nothing. It is my right to use whatever private subnet I want so I want the functionality back (I am a net admin by the way so no networking classes necessary).

Fizz, your turn please!

Best Answer

• Serge O. #3665
    Serge O. #3665 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Why don t you put the modem in bridge mode and try to use your own wifi/router for your needs.

That way you wouldn't have all these problems :)

Answers

• Adrian A. #25758
    Options

The firmware version is 7.1.1.2.7b8

Did anyone has noticed this with the same firmware?

• Adrian A. #25758
    Options

Any news Fizz?

I have a network that I cannot use and quite a few AP, NAS devices and so on that I have to reconfigure just because you have a stupid firmware in your modem !?

Oh, as long as the client is paying us... we don’t care about the rest 😕

Your tech support told me “you should keep the new settings” but without being able to provide a LOGICAL explanation for why I was able to function without any issues for almost a year or so...

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Options

This is mostly a customer forum. I wouldn't be able to help much besides telling you the built-in router is entry level at best and if you need anything more that what a typical non-IT user could need, it will be 100x better if you get your own router.

• Adrian A. #25758
    Options

Hello guys,

Because the problem is with the firmware, until they decided to change it for 7.1.1.2.7b8 it worked and it worked VERY well.

But with the last firmware, surprise, subnet address change no longer works which makes no sense, so that is the problem. They launched a crappy firmware, untested and who screw up the customer's setup. Yes, I could use my own router but for such a simple thing as a different subnet I should be able to do an address change without any hassle, especially when it worked for a year or so ;) Another router means more clutter which I try to avoid but it seems that I have no choice in the end.... :(

Thanks and good day anyone.

• Jacques_Assert
    Jacques_Assert Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options

I assume you've seen my similar issue with the possibly new firmware.

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2620749/technical-subnet-mask-limitation-on-new-firmware#latest

I am using a different IP address (192.168.x.1) on a 255.255.255.0 subnet that continues to work.

This discussion has been closed.