Is there a timeframe to activate SIM card once received in the mail?

Options
AngryCanadian21
AngryCanadian21 Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2021 in My Mobile

Hi, one quick question. My fiancee is moving to Canada at the end of the month and I want to send her a Fizz simcard so that she can have a mobile plan as soon as she lands in Canada. My question is, if I order a simcard to my home address in Canada, can I mail it to her and have her activate it when she gets it? Or is there a certain timeframe in which the sim card needs to be activated once I get it in the mail?

Best Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no timeframe. A SIM card can be activated (even reactivated†) when you want.

Just make sure she gets the plastic supports that comes with it. It is to respect the form factors each phone accepts.

Please note that an activation can take from 5 minutes to 2-3 hours. It depends on have a new phone number or transferring one from another provider.

Fun fact: you can buy a SIM card in a store. Check them at https://fizz.ca/en/sim-card#stores

† If a SIM card is reactivated after 60 days after unsubscribing, the phone number might not stay associated with the mobile plan. So one might have to choose a new number.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct: The date on which you activate your SIM card is the anniversary date for your mobile plan, and this date marks the start of your payment cycle each month

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-payment-cycles-work

Make sure her phone is compatible. Check Fizz network frequencies at https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices

Another fun fact: the mobile plan is linked to the SIM card, not the phone. You could do all this a few days beforehand with her eventual SIM card but with your own phone, say a few days before her arrival. There is a risk though: loosing the card by the posting service has not the same impact if there is a mobile service associated to it or not.

Answers

• AngryCanadian21
    Options

Wow thank you for the quick and detailed response :)

So then I assume billing starts as soon as the sim card is activated correct? Because it will take a few weeks for it to arrive to her by mail.

Thanks again

• AngryCanadian21
    Options

You're the best, thank you so once again :)

• Zenthar
    Zenthar Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Options

Yes, billing starts on activation. If your fiancee already has a plan with a foreign carrier, does that carrier offer any kind of daily roaming pass (sometimes 6-10$)? If so it might cost less than shipping her the SIM, you could just activate her SIM on the day of her arrival, with your phone, then swap her SIM at the airport or when she gets home (since you might not be allowed to enter the airport because of the pandemic).

We did something like that when we visited Mexico City years ago, paid 1 day of roaming as we got to the place selling SIM cards, way cheaper than trying to get a SIM remotely.

• JuanPa
    JuanPa Posts: 236 ✭✭
    Options

Est-ce que ceci est résolu?

• DinoS
    DinoS Posts: 626 ✭✭
    Options

Any time you want, I activated old sim bought in early 2019 not long ago. More than 2 years old sim card.

This discussion has been closed.