Do data upgrades still work on mobile plan with zero monthly data?

Jacques_Assert
Jacques_Assert Posts: 153 ✭✭

The FAQ linked below suggests reducing your monthly data and using perks or upgrades to allow a lower monthly data limit and reduce spending.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/keeping-your-fizz-mobile-costs-down

I've got 250MB and 500MB mobile perks which far exceed what I'm likely to use on data.

Q: If I add a mobile plan with zero monthly data, will I be able to use these upgrades?

Q: Do Data Add-ons work when a plan has zero monthly data to start?

Best Answers

• cristi
    cristi Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

hi,

the answer is yes. Is what I am doing right now. With so much time spent at home i had zero data on my plans. I am using the rewards data activated and rolled over from previous month. And is more than enough right now.

Fizz is awesome !

• DinoS
    DinoS Posts: 626 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Q: If I add a mobile plan with zero monthly data, will I be able to use these upgrades?

A: YES, you can use 250m days upgrade in a bare bone plan. I use one as my iPad sim.

Q: Do Data Add-ons work when a plan has zero monthly data to start?

A: Yes, works. You CAN ONLY receive data perk sent by others. Can't receive regular data gift from monthly data.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes you can. Just keep in mind that upgrades expire 24 months after they were added (not activated!) to your account

• 4ri
    4ri Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

For sure the 6 last month I only use my 750mg bonus monthly for 22$ plan (no data)

• methier
    methier Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes you can I'm using it right now. Just note that no one can gift you any data and that it's not much.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

There you go.

You cannot send a data gift to:

[...]

Fizz members with no data plan

[...]

Buying an Add-on or applying a perk or an upgrade allow you to add extra data to your plan, but that won’t give you the ability to gift or receive data. To gift or receive data, your plan must include data from the get-go.

Source : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-is-data-gifting-and-how-does-it-work#5

• Evan F. #28347
    Evan F. #28347 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Perks do not require mobile data plan, everyone can use the upcoming 5gb we're getting May 30.

According to this FAQ: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-do-i-receive-my-rewards-program

"Since an upgrade boosts your monthly plan, your plan must include that service in the first place for that upgrade to work. Say for example you receive mobile data upgrade: your plan has to include mobile data for you to enjoy an upgrade consisting of mobile data"

The above states you wouldn't be able to use upgrades without having mobile data, but it seems to be outdated? Or maybe "0 gb monthly data" counts as a mobile data plan.

• Ali S. #829
    Ali S. #829 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

The only thing that requires a data plan is receiving data gifts.

Answers

• Jacques_Assert

"With so much time spent at home"

Exactly.

• Jacques_Assert

DinoS wrote, "You CAN ONLY receive data perk sent by others. Can't receive regular data gift from monthly data."

methier wrote, "Just note that no one can gift you any data"

Can anyone point to where this limitation is documented? This is surprising to say the least.

• Jacques_Assert
    edited May 2021

So I can have data, but not have data.

Nice.

Someone had to write extra code to block the ability to gift data. :/

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

They dont want you to have the abillity when you dont have a data plan. ITs not about code is about marketing :)

• Clamarmic
    Clamarmic Posts: 19 ✭✭

Great to know! I was wondering the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.